From: Gunner Asch on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 07:34:16 -0700 (PDT), Joe788 <joemama788(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>On May 24, 7:50�pm, Gunner Asch <gunnera...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:55:24 -0700, Garlicdude <pul...(a)garlic.com>
>> wrote:

>> >I bought a used Bridgeport mill from a fellow a couple of years ago. �I got to
>> >talking with him and he said, �"First we cleaned out the shops in New England
>> >and now we're cleaning out the shops in the mid-west."
>>
>> The Gossco auction 2 weeks ago only had 3 dealers at it. �When I asked
>> where were the rest of the dealers....Skulsky said...what rest? �No one
>> had any money to buy machines.
>>
>> Mori-Seiki �SL8, with a spindle BORE of 24", went for 28k..grudgenly.
>>
>> Lots of oil field and pipe guys in California. �Well...according to Bill
>> there are.....
>>
>> I checked Monster again a few minutes ago. �16 jobs within 250 miles of
>> me. Most of which are resume gatherers from the length of time their ads
>> have been running.
>>
>> Gunner
>
>I thought you were in LA? Monster shows 111 jobs within 200 miles of
>Los Angeles when searching for "Machinist."

When the Great Depression hit, I had the heart attack/triple bypass
which put me on the beach for a month..but work was already slowing down
and since then..its been in the toilet. I made 2 service calls last
week..up 200% from the previous month.

I had to close down my office in Ontario, put my RV in storage and move
home to Taft, which is 40 miles west of Bakersfield. The last 2 weeks I
slept in my truck while I was getting my Stuff out of Gossco before and
after the auction. I got home late Saturday.

And with the closing of Gossco..that ended my So. Cal shop space as
well.

So Ive got two choices...find a local job in the Bakersfield area, or
live in my truck and try to find some work in the So. Cal area.

So Cal is at minimum..90 miles each way. Not something one wishes to
travel every day for $20 an hour, is it?

Gunner

From: Joe788 on
On May 26, 12:05 am, Gunner Asch <gunnera...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2010 07:34:16 -0700 (PDT), Joe788 <joemama...(a)aol.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On May 24, 7:50 pm, Gunner Asch <gunnera...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The Gossco auction 2 weeks ago only had 3 dealers at it.  When I asked
> >> where were the rest of the dealers....Skulsky said...what rest?  No one
> >> had any money to buy machines.
>
> >> Mori-Seiki  SL8, with a spindle BORE of 24", went for 28k..grudgenly..
>
> >> Lots of oil field and pipe guys in California.  Well...according to Bill
> >> there are.....
>
> >> I checked Monster again a few minutes ago.  16 jobs within 250 miles of
> >> me. Most of which are resume gatherers from the length of time their ads
> >> have been running.
>
> >> Gunner
>
> >I thought you were in LA? Monster shows 111 jobs within 200 miles of
> >Los Angeles when searching for "Machinist."
>
> When the Great Depression hit, I had the heart attack/triple bypass
> which put me on the beach for a month..but work was already slowing down
> and since then..its been in the toilet.  I made 2 service calls last
> week..up 200% from the previous month.
>
> I had to close down my office in Ontario, put my RV in storage and move
> home to Taft, which is 40 miles west of Bakersfield.  The last 2 weeks I
> slept in my truck while I was getting my Stuff out of Gossco before and
> after the auction.  I got home late Saturday.
>
> And with the closing of Gossco..that ended my So. Cal shop space as
> well.
>
> So Ive got two choices...find a local job in the Bakersfield area, or
> live in my truck and try  to find some work in the So. Cal area.
>
> So Cal is at minimum..90 miles each way. Not something one wishes to
> travel every day for $20 an hour, is it?
>
> Gunner

Have you tried applying for any of the jobs that are in Bakersfield?
$25/hour is a pretty good living for Central California, especially if
your property is paid for.
From: Gunner Asch on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 07:25:05 -0700 (PDT), Joe788 <joemama788(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>On May 26, 12:05�am, Gunner Asch <gunnera...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 May 2010 07:34:16 -0700 (PDT), Joe788 <joemama...(a)aol.com>
>> wrote:

>> >I thought you were in LA? Monster shows 111 jobs within 200 miles of
>> >Los Angeles when searching for "Machinist."
>>
>> When the Great Depression hit, I had the heart attack/triple bypass
>> which put me on the beach for a month..but work was already slowing down
>> and since then..its been in the toilet. �I made 2 service calls last
>> week..up 200% from the previous month.
>>
>> I had to close down my office in Ontario, put my RV in storage and move
>> home to Taft, which is 40 miles west of Bakersfield. �The last 2 weeks I
>> slept in my truck while I was getting my Stuff out of Gossco before and
>> after the auction. �I got home late Saturday.
>>
>> And with the closing of Gossco..that ended my So. Cal shop space as
>> well.
>>
>> So Ive got two choices...find a local job in the Bakersfield area, or
>> live in my truck and try �to find some work in the So. Cal area.
>>
>> So Cal is at minimum..90 miles each way. Not something one wishes to
>> travel every day for $20 an hour, is it?
>>
>> Gunner
>
>Have you tried applying for any of the jobs that are in Bakersfield?
>$25/hour is a pretty good living for Central California, especially if
>your property is paid for.

Ayup..Ive been sending out resumes via Monster, and Ive been doing a
tiny bit of machining for one local company, out of my home shop.

As I noted..a lot of companies have put out job notices, but are only
resume building.

Its really not good out here in California. Which is well noted..is #3
from the bottom in unemployment at an Offical rate of 16%..an unoffical
rate of 32% +/-. Lots of people are running out of their 99 weeks and
are falling off the radar, and then of course is the illegal aliens who
will work for very little money. It should be noted that even illegals
are moving out of California as companies shut down and going back home
to Mexico, where at least..they can move in with family and survive.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/the-number-of-illegal-immigrants-living-in-the-us-plummeted-to-108-million-in-2009-from-116-million-the-previous-year-ma.html

It should be noted..that there are closer to 30 Million illegals, not 12
million.

Gunner

From: Gunner Asch on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 13:38:48 -0700, Garlicdude <pulsar(a)garlic.com>
wrote:

>Gunner Asch wrote:
>

>> According to ol Bill...machining is just hunkey dory.
>>
>> Gunner
>>

>Flood Of Calif. Businesses Abandon State:
>
>http://67.59.172.92/article/Local_News/Local_News/Flood_Of_Calif_Businesses_Abandon_State/67412

But...but...but Bill said everything was going hunkydory! Im suprised
that all those big names have old machinery!!!

Gunner

From: Gunner Asch on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:36:46 -0700, Garlicdude <pulsar(a)garlic.com>
wrote:

>Joe788 wrote:
>

>> Can't blame em. I just got a letter from State Fund, telling me my
>> workers comp premiums are going up by 17% for absolutely no reason
>> (other than the fact that those state workers need to get their 3%
>> annual cost of living raise and 5% annual review raise SOMEhow.)
>>
>> I know a lot of shops that are BOOMING though, including mine.
>>

>Joe, If we didn't have grandkids here I would be gone in a heartbeat. We're
>booming here also. We keep getting repeat jobs without even quoting them, the
>POs just come in.
>
>I'm hoping that we get anybody but Jerry Brown for governor so that maybe we can
>reverse some of this job loss and lower the unemployment numbers.
>
>Best,
>Steve

You are doing ok. Now what about the other shops in your area?
In So Cal..the shops that are booming, are picking up the few jobs that
Shop A, and Shop B, and Shop D had..but were not enough to stay in
business doing. When combined..Shop C can actually keep the doors open.

Whats it like around you?

Gunner

Gunner