From: Alexander Kapps on
Martineau wrote:

> Perhaps it's hidden somewhere, but I couldn't find the .chm help file
> in the python-2.7.msi file using 7-zip, nor saw anything that looked
> like a Doc folder embedded within it -- so I doubt installing it on a
> Windows machine would work any better.

I don't know much about the .msi format or how 7-Zip handles it, but
on my XP box, 7-Zip lists a "python" sub-archive (a 7-Zip
"compound"). Within is the python27.chm
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:59:00 -0700, Martineau wrote:

> I'd like to view the contents of the help file without actually
> installing the release which would wipe out any currently installed
> version (I'm one of those rare people who actually reads manuals
> *before* using or installing most things.)

When you say "wipe out any currently installed version", do you mean an
older version of 2.7, or an older version such as 2.6, 2.5, 2.4, ... ?

If the first, I don't know of any simple way to keep multiple
installations with the same major and minor version number (e.g. 2.7.0a
and 2.7.0.b). Sorry.

But if you mean the second, that you don't want to over-write 2.6, I'd be
shocked if the Python installer does that. Doesn't it install Python to
something like C:\Programs\Python<version> ?

Performing a source install under Linux, by default existing versions
remain in place, but there's a soft link "python" which points to the
most recent version. Doing a regular install over-writes the soft link.
But there's an "altinstall" option which leaves the link untouched, so
(for example) I have python -> python 2.5 while still having other
versions installed and accessible directly with python2.6, python2.4 etc.
I would be stunned if Windows didn't support an equivalent to altinstall.

Are there any Windows users out there who can confirm that the installer
does or doesn't leave existing versions in place?

--
Steven
From: David Robinow on
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:59:00 -0700, Martineau wrote:
>
>> I'd like to view the contents of the help file without actually
>> installing the release which would wipe out any currently installed
>> version (I'm one of those rare people who actually reads manuals
>> *before* using or installing most things.)
> Are there any Windows users out there who can confirm that the installer
> does or doesn't leave existing versions in place?
The installer does leave existing versions in place. I have no idea
what the OP is referring to.
From: Martineau on
On Jul 5, 1:31 pm, Alexander Kapps <alex.ka...(a)web.de> wrote:
> Martineau wrote:
> > Perhaps it's hidden somewhere, but I couldn't find the .chm help file
> > in the python-2.7.msi file using 7-zip, nor saw anything that looked
> > like a Doc folder embedded within it -- so I doubt installing it on a
> > Windows machine would work any better.
>
> I don't know much about the .msi format or how 7-Zip handles it, but
> on my XP box, 7-Zip lists a "python" sub-archive (a 7-Zip
> "compound"). Within is the python27.chm

My mistake -- you're quite right the .chm *is* in the .msi where you
indicated. FWIW I actually did look in that sub-section before posting
yet somehow missed it. Sorry about that and thanks to all involved for
your help.
From: Martineau on
On Jul 5, 5:53 pm, David Robinow <drobi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Steven D'Aprano<st...(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:59:00 -0700, Martineau wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to view the contents of the help file without actually
> >> installing the release which would wipe out any currently installed
> >> version (I'm one of those rare people who actually reads manuals
> >> *before* using or installing most things.)
> > Are there any Windows users out there who can confirm that the installer
> > does or doesn't leave existing versions in place?
>
>  The installer does leave existing versions in place. I have no idea
> what the OP is referring to.

Some clarification. I meant installed 2.7 on top of 2.6.x. Doing so
would have interfered with the currently installed version because I
always install Python in the same directory, one named just "Python",
to minimize the number of changes I have to make to to other parts of
the system. Some trivial examples are desktop shortcuts I've set up
which point to the commandline version of the interpreter and another
for the help file. I also believe the Windows installer makes registry
changes that also involve paths to the currently installed version,
which again, is something I wanted to avoid until I'm actually ready
to commit to upgrading.

If there are better ways on Windows to accomplish this, I'd like to
hear about them. I suppose I could use hardlinks or junctions but
they're not well supported on most versions of Windows.

BTW, my original problem -- getting a copy of the Windows format
compiled help file fro v2/7 without installing it has been taken care
by suggestions from other, so this discussion is starting to way off-
topic...

Thanks,
Martin