From: Benjamin Peterson on
2010/7/4 Benjamin Peterson <benjamin(a)python.org>:
> On behalf of the Python development team, I'm jocund to announce the second
> release candidate of Python 2.7.

Arg!!! This should, of course, be "final release".

--
Regards,
Benjamin
From: Martineau on
On Jul 4, 8:34 am, Benjamin Peterson <benja...(a)python.org> wrote:
> On behalf of the Python development team, I'm jocund to announce the second
> release candidate of Python 2.7.
>
> Python 2.7 will be the last major version in the 2.x series. However, it will
> also have an extended period of bugfix maintenance.
>
> 2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io
> module, the new nested with statement syntax, improved float repr, set literals,
> dictionary views, and the memoryview object have been backported from 3.1.. Other
> features include an ordered dictionary implementation, unittests improvements, a
> new sysconfig module, auto-numbering of fields in the str/unicode format method,
> and support for ttk Tile in Tkinter.  For a more extensive list of changes in
> 2.7, seehttp://doc.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.htmlor Misc/NEWS in the Python
> distribution.
>
> To download Python 2.7 visit:
>
>      http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/
>
> 2.7 documentation can be found at:
>
>      http://docs.python.org/2.7/
>
> This is a production release and should be suitable for all libraries and
> applications.  Please report any bugs you find, so they can be fixed in the next
> maintenance releases.  The bug tracker is at:
>
>      http://bugs.python.org/
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --
> Benjamin Peterson
> Release Manager
> benjamin at python.org
> (on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 2.7's contributors)

Benjamin (or anyone else), do you know where I can get the Compiled
Windows Help file -- python27.chm -- for this release? In the past
I've been able to download it from the Python web site, but have been
unable to locate it anywhere for this new release. I can't build it
myself because I don't have the Microsoft HTML help file compiler.

Thanks in advance.
From: John Machin on
On Jul 5, 12:27 pm, Martineau <ggrp2.20.martin...(a)dfgh.net> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 8:34 am, Benjamin Peterson <benja...(a)python.org> wrote:
>

> > On behalf of the Python development team, I'm jocund to announce the second
> > release candidate of Python 2.7.
>
> > Python 2.7 will be the last major version in the 2.x series. However, it will
> > also have an extended period of bugfix maintenance.
>
> > 2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io
> > module, the new nested with statement syntax, improved float repr, set literals,
> > dictionary views, and the memoryview object have been backported from 3..1. Other
> > features include an ordered dictionary implementation, unittests improvements, a
> > new sysconfig module, auto-numbering of fields in the str/unicode format method,
> > and support for ttk Tile in Tkinter.  For a more extensive list of changes in
> > 2.7, seehttp://doc.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.htmlorMisc/NEWS in the Python
> > distribution.
>
> > To download Python 2.7 visit:
>
> >      http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/
>
> > 2.7 documentation can be found at:
>
> >      http://docs.python.org/2.7/
>
> > This is a production release and should be suitable for all libraries and
> > applications.  Please report any bugs you find, so they can be fixed in the next
> > maintenance releases.  The bug tracker is at:
>
> >      http://bugs.python.org/
>
> > Enjoy!
>
> > --
> > Benjamin Peterson
> > Release Manager
> > benjamin at python.org
> > (on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 2.7's contributors)
>
> Benjamin (or anyone else), do you know where I can get the Compiled
> Windows Help file -- python27.chm -- for this release? In the past
> I've been able to download it from the Python web site, but have been
> unable to locate it anywhere for this new release. I can't build it
> myself because I don't have the Microsoft HTML help file compiler.
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you have a Windows box, download the .msi installer for Python 2.7
and install it. The chm file will be in C:\Python27\Doc (if you choose
the default installation directory). Otherwise ask a friendly local
Windows user for a copy.
From: Benjamin Kaplan on
On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM, John Machin <sjmachin(a)lexicon.net> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 12:27 pm, Martineau <ggrp2.20.martin...(a)dfgh.net> wrote:
>> On Jul 4, 8:34 am, Benjamin Peterson <benja...(a)python.org> wrote:
>>

>> > On behalf of the Python development team, I'm jocund to announce the second
>> > release candidate of Python 2.7.
>>
>> > Python 2.7 will be the last major version in the 2.x series. However, it will
>> > also have an extended period of bugfix maintenance.
>>
>> > 2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io
>> > module, the new nested with statement syntax, improved float repr, set literals,
>> > dictionary views, and the memoryview object have been backported from 3.1. Other
>> > features include an ordered dictionary implementation, unittests improvements, a
>> > new sysconfig module, auto-numbering of fields in the str/unicode format method,
>> > and support for ttk Tile in Tkinter.  For a more extensive list of changes in
>> > 2.7, seehttp://doc.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.htmlorMisc/NEWS in the Python
>> > distribution.
>>
>> > To download Python 2.7 visit:
>>
>> >      http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/
>>
>> > 2.7 documentation can be found at:
>>
>> >      http://docs.python.org/2.7/
>>
>> > This is a production release and should be suitable for all libraries and
>> > applications.  Please report any bugs you find, so they can be fixed in the next
>> > maintenance releases.  The bug tracker is at:
>>
>> >      http://bugs.python.org/
>>
>> > Enjoy!
>>
>> > --
>> > Benjamin Peterson
>> > Release Manager
>> > benjamin at python.org
>> > (on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 2.7's contributors)
>>
>> Benjamin (or anyone else), do you know where I can get the Compiled
>> Windows Help file -- python27.chm -- for this release? In the past
>> I've been able to download it from the Python web site, but have been
>> unable to locate it anywhere for this new release. I can't build it
>> myself because I don't have the Microsoft HTML help file compiler.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> If you have a Windows box, download the .msi installer for Python 2.7
> and install it. The chm file will be in C:\Python27\Doc (if you choose
> the default installation directory). Otherwise ask a friendly local
> Windows user for a copy.
> --

Or you can just use 7-zip or cabextract on the MSi. Saves you from
having to uninstall it later, and it works on non-Windows machines.
From: Martineau on
On Jul 5, 1:12 am, Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kap...(a)case.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM, John Machin <sjmac...(a)lexicon.net> wrote:

> >> Benjamin (or anyone else), do you know where I can get the Compiled
> >> Windows Help file -- python27.chm -- for this release? In the past
> >> I've been able to download it from the Python web site, but have been
> >> unable to locate it anywhere for this new release. I can't build it
> >> myself because I don't have the Microsoft HTML help file compiler.
>
> >> Thanks in advance.
>
> > If you have a Windows box, download the .msi installer for Python 2.7
> > and install it. The chm file will be in C:\Python27\Doc (if you choose
> > the default installation directory). Otherwise ask a friendly local
> > Windows user for a copy.
> > --
>
> Or you can just use 7-zip or cabextract on the MSi. Saves you from
> having to uninstall it later, and it works on non-Windows machines.

Perhaps it's hidden somewhere, but I couldn't find the .chm help file
in the python-2.7.msi file using 7-zip, nor saw anything that looked
like a Doc folder embedded within it -- so I doubt installing it on a
Windows machine would work any better.

I'd like to view the contents of the help file without actually
installing the release which would wipe out any currently installed
version (I'm one of those rare people who actually reads manuals
*before* using or installing most things.)

So my original question stands -- where can one get the Windows Help
file for v2.7?