From: Martin v. Loewis on
> Benjamin (or anyone else), do you know where I can get the Compiled
> Windows Help file -- python27.chm -- for this release?

I have now put that file separately on the release page.

Regards,
Martin
From: David Bolen on
Martineau <ggrp2.20.martineau(a)dfgh.net> writes:

> Some clarification. I meant installed 2.7 on top of 2.6.x. Doing so
> would have interfered with the currently installed version because I
> always install Python in the same directory, one named just "Python",
> to minimize the number of changes I have to make to to other parts of
> the system.

That's fine, you're just making a conscious choice to only support
(yourself) a single version installed at a time.

I tend to need multiple versions around when developing, so I keep a
bunch of versions all installed in separate directories as \Python\x.y
(so I only have a single root directory). With 2.7, my current box
has 6 Python interpreters (2.4-3.1) installed at the moment.

I use Cygwin (wouldn't try to work on a Windows system without it), so
just use bash aliases to execute the right interpreter, but a batch
file could be used with the cmd interpreter, and you could link GUI
shortcuts to that batch file.

Not sure there's a good solution to your help file link, other than
the existing Start menu links installed per Python version. Even with
local links you'd probably want separate links per version anyway
since they're different documents.

Of course, since this started by just considering installing it to get
at a single file (which I know was since solved), it's probably an
acceptable use case for violating your standard policy and picking a
different directory name just in this case, and then blowing it away
later. :-)

> I also believe the Windows installer makes registry
> changes that also involve paths to the currently installed version,
> which again, is something I wanted to avoid until I'm actually ready
> to commit to upgrading.

The path information installed in the registry
(Software\Python\PythonCore under HLKM or HKCU depending on
installation options) is structured according to major.minor release
(e.g., 2.6 vs. 2.7 are distinct), but you're right Windows only
supports one file extension mapping, so by default the last Python to
be installed gets associated with .py/.pyw etc... by default.

But you can optionally disable this during installation. On the
customize screen showing during installation. de-select the "Register
Extensions" option, and the active install won't change any existing
mappings and thus have no impact on your current default installation.

> If there are better ways on Windows to accomplish this, I'd like to
> hear about them. I suppose I could use hardlinks or junctions but
> they're not well supported on most versions of Windows.

If you're still using the basic Windows command prompt or GUI links
then a batch file is the simplest way to go. With something like
Cygwin (which I personally would never do without), then you have a
variety of techniques available including links, shell aliases, etc...

-- David
From: Tim Golden on
On 06/07/2010 07:06, David Bolen wrote:
> I tend to need multiple versions around when developing, so I keep a
> bunch of versions all installed in separate directories as \Python\x.y
> (so I only have a single root directory). With 2.7, my current box
> has 6 Python interpreters (2.4-3.1) installed at the moment.
>
> I use Cygwin (wouldn't try to work on a Windows system without it), so
> just use bash aliases to execute the right interpreter, but a batch
> file could be used with the cmd interpreter, and you could link GUI
> shortcuts to that batch file.

I, too, have multiple versions installed -- newer ones for running code
I haven't upgraded; older ones for compatibility testing where needed.
I just install to the default c:\pythonxy directories (although I like
the idea of a common root) and I put NTFS hardlinks into my general
c:\tools directory which is on the path. The out-of-context hardlinks
work because of the registry settings which pick up the correct context
for each version.

(I've never quite clicked with cygwin or MingW despite giving them
several goes on the basis of others' enthusiasm...)

TJG
From: imageguy on

> I, too, have multiple versions installed -- newer ones for running code
> I haven't upgraded; older ones for compatibility testing where needed.
> I just install to the default c:\pythonxy directories (although I like
> the idea of a common root) and I put NTFS hardlinks into my general
> c:\tools directory which is on the path. The out-of-context hardlinks
> work because of the registry settings which pick up the correct context
> for each version.

Sorry to be daft here, but what do you mean by a "hardlink" ?
A windows "Shortcut" ?

I have just installed 2.7 and want to start upgrading some code, but
alas still want to maintain some 2.5 code too.

From: Martin v. Loewis on
Am 08.07.2010 04:17, schrieb imageguy:

>> I, too, have multiple versions installed -- newer ones for running code
>> I haven't upgraded; older ones for compatibility testing where needed.
>> I just install to the default c:\pythonxy directories (although I like
>> the idea of a common root) and I put NTFS hardlinks into my general
>> c:\tools directory which is on the path. The out-of-context hardlinks
>> work because of the registry settings which pick up the correct context
>> for each version.
>
> Sorry to be daft here, but what do you mean by a "hardlink" ?
> A windows "Shortcut" ?

No, he means a hardlink (file system level directory entries pointing to
the same MFT record number), as created by "fsutil hardlink",
"mklink /H", or Cygwin "ln".

Regards,
Martin