From: geremy condra on
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis(a)pitrou.net> wrote:

>> > How about contributing to the standard hashlib and ssl modules? Is
>> > there anything there that goes in the way, e.g. design-wise?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Antoine
>>
>> Evpy currently uses ctypes for its bindings, so my understanding is
>> that it isn't eligible for inclusion, but a rewrite as a C extension is
>> under way and I'd be happy to contribute that.
>
> That was not my question. My question was whether there was a reason to
> rewrite a separate OpenSSL-accessing library rather than contributing to
> improve the "hashlib" and "ssl" modules which are already part of the
> Python stdlib.

Yes. Hashlib is designed to provide cryptographic hashes, and the ssl
module to provide TLS support. Evpy provides encryption and signing.
Am I answering your question?

Geremy Condra
From: Nobody on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:43:02 -0700, John Nagle wrote:

> The new SSL module in Python 2.6

There isn't an SSL module in Python 2.6. There is a module named "ssl"
which pretends to implement SSL, but in fact doesn't.

> is convenient, but insecure.

In which case, it isn't actually convenient, in any meaningful sense of
the word.

From: geremy condra on
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Nobody <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:43:02 -0700, John Nagle wrote:
>
>>     The new SSL module in Python 2.6
>
> There isn't an SSL module in Python 2.6. There is a module named "ssl"
> which pretends to implement SSL, but in fact doesn't.
>
>> is convenient, but insecure.
>
> In which case, it isn't actually convenient, in any meaningful sense of
> the word.

As one of my friends is fond of saying, it lets you talk encrypted to
your attacker ;)

Geremy Condra
From: Antoine Pitrou on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:05:50 -0700
geremy condra <debatem1(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. Hashlib is designed to provide cryptographic hashes, and the ssl
> module to provide TLS support. Evpy provides encryption and signing.
> Am I answering your question?

Hmm, indeed, thank you. For some strange reason I had forgotten that
hashlib is limited to hashing (I'm not even being ironical :-S).

Regards

Antoine.
From: John Nagle on
On 6/14/2010 11:58 AM, geremy condra wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Nobody<nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:43:02 -0700, John Nagle wrote:
>>
>>> The new SSL module in Python 2.6
>>
>> There isn't an SSL module in Python 2.6. There is a module named "ssl"
>> which pretends to implement SSL, but in fact doesn't.
>>
>>> is convenient, but insecure.
>>
>> In which case, it isn't actually convenient, in any meaningful sense of
>> the word.
>
> As one of my friends is fond of saying, it lets you talk encrypted to
> your attacker ;)

That's a good way to put it.

John Nagle