From: W. eWatson on
On 8/7/2010 2:26 PM, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Am 07.08.2010 23:01, schrieb Michael Torrie:
>> On 08/07/2010 01:17 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
>>> Presumably I have him somehow delete the numpy site-package, the numpy
>>> 1.2.0 package? Just drill his way dow from the .../lib/site_packages?
>>> Then install 1.2.0. He's missed the boat on that before by not following
>>> instructions.
>>
>> Wait. I'm confused. Aren't you distributing your python app as an
>> executable, with the interpreter and all the libraries bundled?
>
> No, he was really mentioning two distinct scenarios. In the one
> discussed above, the remote machine had all stuff manually installed,
> and somehow got the actual Python program copied into it.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
To add to the msg I just sent to M. Torrie. We are given the msi
programs for Python, PIL,matplotlib, and numpy. The question of how to
uninstall and re-install a different version remains. The answer is?
From: Martin v. Loewis on
> To add to the msg I just sent to M. Torrie. We are given the msi
> programs for Python, PIL,matplotlib, and numpy. The question of how to
> uninstall and re-install a different version remains.

I'd claim that this is not the real question. The real question is,
instead: "What specific error did you get when adding a single minus
sign to the program?"

Please try answering that question also.

> The answer is?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by "given"?
Perhaps "already downloaded locally"?

If so, the obvious answer is "Go to Add-Remove-Programs. Uninstall.
Then double-click the MSI files." If that is not a good answer:
why not?

If you want that automated: write a batch file, invoking "msiexec"
as necessary.

Regards,
Martin

From: W. eWatson on
On 8/7/2010 4:45 PM, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>> To add to the msg I just sent to M. Torrie. We are given the msi
>> programs for Python, PIL,matplotlib, and numpy. The question of how to
>> uninstall and re-install a different version remains.
>
> I'd claim that this is not the real question. The real question is,
> instead: "What specific error did you get when adding a single minus
> sign to the program?"
>
> Please try answering that question also.
>
>> The answer is?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by "given"?
> Perhaps "already downloaded locally"?
>
> If so, the obvious answer is "Go to Add-Remove-Programs. Uninstall.
> Then double-click the MSI files." If that is not a good answer:
> why not?
>
> If you want that automated: write a batch file, invoking "msiexec"
> as necessary.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Given. We either download them from various specified sites or newbies
get a CD when they receive hardware that is used by the sponsor's programs.

Add-Remove would be a very good answer, except for one thing. Understand
that I'm in Win7 so CP takes on a different form. On Control Panel
Add-Remove, I can find exactly two Python files: Python 2.5, and
python-Numpy-1.2.0. No scipy anything. Well, this is interesting. I just
noticed Martin v. Loewis on the Python 2.5 entry. That's you, right?

msiexec. Don't need it automated now, but it might be worthwhile, at
some future point.

I think I posted the errors my partner got above. Let me look. Yes,
here's the copy.
He gets

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and
Settings\HP_Administrator.DavesDesktop\Desktop\NC-FireballReport20100729.py",
line 40, in <module>
from scipy import stats as stats # scoreatpercentile
File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line 7,
in <module>
from stats import *
File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 191,
in <module>
import scipy.special as special
File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py", line
22, in <module>
from numpy.testing import NumpyTest
ImportError: cannot import name NumpyTest

Here are the first few lines of code.

import sys, os, glob
import string
from numpy import *
from datetime import datetime, timedelta
import time
from scipy import stats as stats # scoreatpercentile
From: Thomas Jollans on
On 08/08/2010 03:10 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
> I think I posted the errors my partner got above. Let me look. Yes,
> here's the copy.
> He gets
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator.DavesDesktop\Desktop\NC-FireballReport20100729.py",
> line 40, in <module>
> from scipy import stats as stats # scoreatpercentile
> File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line 7,
> in <module>
> from stats import *
> File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 191,
> in <module>
> import scipy.special as special
> File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py", line
> 22, in <module>
> from numpy.testing import NumpyTest
> ImportError: cannot import name NumpyTest

Is this error actually caused by the "one char change"? If you undo your
"one char change", does the error disappear?

From: David Cournapeau on
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:10 AM, W. eWatson <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/2010 4:45 PM, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>>>
>>> To add to the msg I just sent to M. Torrie. We are given the msi
>>> programs for Python, PIL,matplotlib, and numpy. The question of how to
>>> uninstall and re-install a different version remains.
>>
>> I'd claim that this is not the real question. The real question is,
>> instead: "What specific error did you get when adding a single minus
>> sign to the program?"
>>
>> Please try answering that question also.
>>
>>> The answer is?
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by "given"?
>> Perhaps "already downloaded locally"?
>>
>> If so, the obvious answer is "Go to Add-Remove-Programs. Uninstall.
>> Then double-click the MSI files." If that is not a good answer:
>> why not?
>>
>> If you want that automated: write a batch file, invoking "msiexec"
>> as necessary.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin
>>

> Given. We either download them from various specified sites or newbies get a
> CD when they receive hardware that is used by the sponsor's programs.
>
> Add-Remove would be a very good answer, except for one thing. Understand
> that I'm in Win7 so CP takes on a different form. On Control Panel
> Add-Remove, I can find exactly two Python files: Python 2.5, and
> python-Numpy-1.2.0. No scipy anything. Well, this is interesting. I just
> noticed Martin v. Loewis on the Python 2.5 entry. That's you, right?

You are conflating so many issues at the same time, it is very
difficult to follow what you are doing.

Concerning the numpy error: you installed a version of scipy which
requires a more recent version of numpy than the one you have. More
concretely, NumpyTest has disappeared since 1.3.0. Unless you have a
good reason not to, I strongly suggest to just use the last released
versions of numpy and scipy (1.4.1 and 0.8.0 respectively).

Note also that Enthought Python Distribution exists to exactly avoid
those issues - they do the packaging hard word so that you don't have
to.

But none of this has anything to do with one character change or portability,

cheers,

David