From: W. eWatson on
On 8/8/2010 4:08 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> python-Numpy-1.2.0. No scipy anything. Well, this is interesting. I just
>> noticed Martin v. Loewis on the Python 2.5 entry. That's you, right?
>
> You are conflating so many issues at the same time, it is very
> difficult to follow what you are doing.
>
> Concerning the numpy error: you installed a version of scipy which
> requires a more recent version of numpy than the one you have. More
> concretely, NumpyTest has disappeared since 1.3.0. Unless you have a
> good reason not to, I strongly suggest to just use the last released
> versions of numpy and scipy (1.4.1 and 0.8.0 respectively).
>
> Note also that Enthought Python Distribution exists to exactly avoid
> those issues - they do the packaging hard word so that you don't have
> to.
>
> But none of this has anything to do with one character change or portability,
>
> cheers,
>
> David
Believe me I had no intent of expanding this thread beyond looking for a
straight and simple insight to Python distribution (portability,
whatever) and how to get my partner squared away. The general issue
seems to drifted off on its own accord. I find generally that once I've
had to post five times on a topic, and haven't gotten a satisfactory
answer, I'm not going to get one.

Yes, you are quite correct about numpy, but for reasons which I have no
plans to explain, I want my partner on the same version of numpy as
myself. I now have the answer I need, and I do not care one more wit
about a one character change.

I'm done here.
From: Martin v. Loewis on
> Add-Remove would be a very good answer, except for one thing. Understand
> that I'm in Win7 so CP takes on a different form. On Control Panel
> Add-Remove, I can find exactly two Python files: Python 2.5, and
> python-Numpy-1.2.0. No scipy anything.

Well, it should be there. Perhaps it was installed by a different user,
and will only show up when that user goes into CP?

Do you recall what procedure you have used for installation?

> Well, this is interesting. I just
> noticed Martin v. Loewis on the Python 2.5 entry. That's you, right?

Correct. I keep building the installers, but was asked to put Python
Software Foundation into the creator field of the MSI file.

> I think I posted the errors my partner got above. Let me look. Yes,
> here's the copy.
> He gets
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator.DavesDesktop\Desktop\NC-FireballReport20100729.py",
> line 40, in <module>
> from scipy import stats as stats # scoreatpercentile
> File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line 7,
> in <module>
> from stats import *
> File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 191,
> in <module>
> import scipy.special as special
> File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py", line
> 22, in <module>
> from numpy.testing import NumpyTest
> ImportError: cannot import name NumpyTest

There is no way this can be attributed to an addition of a single character.

In your partner's version of numpy.testing, there is no name NumpyTest.
That sounds alright - in my version of numpy, there is no
numpy.testing.NumpyTest, either. However, the line in
special\__init__.py, on my system, reads

from numpy.testing import Tester

So it looks like that the scipy version and the numpy version don't
match.

Regards,
Martin
From: alex23 on
"W. eWatson" <wolftra...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> I now have the answer I need, and I do not care one more wit
> about a one character change.
>
> I'm done here.

That's a fantastic response to give to people who were actually
willing to sacrifice their time to help you with your problems. I'm
always stunned at those who come here in ignorance somehow "knowing"
what the correct answer they wanted is, even when it runs counter to

Good luck continuing to get help here with that attitude.
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <i3m9vm$2lk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, W. eWatson wrote:

> Believe me I had no intent of expanding this thread beyond looking for a
> straight and simple insight to Python distribution (portability,
> whatever) and how to get my partner squared away. The general issue
> seems to drifted off on its own accord.

“Drifted off” bullshit. A whole lot of responders have wasted a whole lot of
time trying to get to the bottom of your “one-character change”, and now you
try to pretend it wasn't the issue at all.
From: geremy condra on
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <i3m9vm$2lk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, W. eWatson wrote:
>
>> Believe me I had no intent of expanding this thread beyond looking for a
>> straight and simple insight to Python distribution (portability,
>> whatever) and how to get my partner squared away. The general issue
>> seems to drifted off on its own accord.
>
> “Drifted off” bullshit. A whole lot of responders have wasted a whole lot of
> time trying to get to the bottom of your “one-character change”, and now you
> try to pretend it wasn’t the issue at all.

To be fair, it wasn't, little though he knew it.

Geremy Condra