From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <i3fpos$p7u$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, W. eWatson wrote:

> I made a one character change to it and sent him the new py file. He can't
> execute it.

What exactly was the problem?

From: W. eWatson on
On 8/6/2010 2:23 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<i3fpos$p7u$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, W. eWatson wrote:
>
>> I made a one character change to it and sent him the new py file. He can't
>> execute it.
>
> What exactly was the problem?

I put a minus sign in front of a variable. I had him use the shell to
check his version numpy, which he just provided. version -- 1.4.0. As I
think I mentioned above, he's probably not using the same numpy version
that I use 1.2.0. Don't ask for an explanation of why I want him on
1.2.0. :-) I think that pretty much wraps up the problem. He needs to
get back to 1.2.0.

Presumably I have him somehow delete the numpy site-package, the numpy
1.2.0 package? Just drill his way dow from the .../lib/site_packages?
Then install 1.2.0. He's missed the boat on that before by not following
instructions.

From: Michael Torrie on
On 08/07/2010 01:17 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
> Presumably I have him somehow delete the numpy site-package, the numpy
> 1.2.0 package? Just drill his way dow from the .../lib/site_packages?
> Then install 1.2.0. He's missed the boat on that before by not following
> instructions.

Wait. I'm confused. Aren't you distributing your python app as an
executable, with the interpreter and all the libraries bundled?
From: Martin v. Loewis on
Am 07.08.2010 23:01, schrieb Michael Torrie:
> On 08/07/2010 01:17 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
>> Presumably I have him somehow delete the numpy site-package, the numpy
>> 1.2.0 package? Just drill his way dow from the .../lib/site_packages?
>> Then install 1.2.0. He's missed the boat on that before by not following
>> instructions.
>
> Wait. I'm confused. Aren't you distributing your python app as an
> executable, with the interpreter and all the libraries bundled?

No, he was really mentioning two distinct scenarios. In the one
discussed above, the remote machine had all stuff manually installed,
and somehow got the actual Python program copied into it.

Regards,
Martin
From: W. eWatson on
On 8/7/2010 2:01 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 01:17 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
>> Presumably I have him somehow delete the numpy site-package, the numpy
>> 1.2.0 package? Just drill his way dow from the .../lib/site_packages?
>> Then install 1.2.0. He's missed the boat on that before by not following
>> instructions.
>
> Wait. I'm confused. Aren't you distributing your python app as an
> executable, with the interpreter and all the libraries bundled?
Not at all. There is no exe. The py source program is all that goes out.
It is expected that the recipients have the same versions of modules,
numpy, etc, and IDLE. All under Windows. There's not a single person (of
about 50) that gets person who is likely to have changed the Python
environment. None of them know Python. When the sponsor decides to
change the app we all use, then we update Python and modules as
required. User's execute the programs with IDLE, or a double click of
the py file.