From: Jean Guillaume Pyraksos on
What are the arguments for choosing Python against Ruby
for introductory programming ? Python has no provisions
for tail recursion, Ruby is going to... So what ?
Thanks,

JG
From: Stefan Behnel on
Jean Guillaume Pyraksos, 27.01.2010 14:01:
> What are the arguments for choosing Python against Ruby
> for introductory programming ?

PEP 20:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/

Stefan
From: Simon Brunning on
2010/1/27 Jean Guillaume Pyraksos <wissme(a)hotmail.com>:
> What are the arguments for choosing Python against Ruby
> for introductory programming ?

Frankly, either would be a good choice.

I think Python is a little cleaner, but I'm sure you'd find Ruby fans
who'd argue the complete opposite. Both have good ecosystems, (i.e.
good communities, and plenty of good libraries and frameworks) - but
Python is probably a bit ahead here having been around a bit longer.

> Python has no provisions
> for tail recursion, Ruby is going to... So what ?

This would be a very strange reason to pick one language over the
other - it's a very minor point.

--
Cheers,
Simon B.
From: Roald de Vries on

On Jan 27, 2010, at 2:01 PM, Jean Guillaume Pyraksos wrote:

> What are the arguments for choosing Python against Ruby
> for introductory programming ? Python has no provisions
> for tail recursion, Ruby is going to... So what ?
> Thanks,

I think the main difference is in culture, especially for
*introductory* programming. For example, I have the impression that
Rubyists like to write the same thing in as many ways as possible
(example: rubyquiz.com), Python prefers one obvious way; this
(arguably) makes Ruby more writable and Python more readable.

From: Jonathan Gardner on
On Jan 27, 5:47 am, Simon Brunning <si...(a)brunningonline.net> wrote:

> I think Python is a little cleaner, but I'm sure you'd find Ruby fans
> who'd argue the complete opposite.

Are you sure about that?

There's a lot of line noise in Ruby. How are you supposed to pronounce

There's a lot of "magic" in Ruby as well. For instance, function calls
are made without parentheses. Blocks can only appear as the first
argument. There's a lot more, if you put your mind to it.

Indentation is also optional in Ruby. You can quickly fool a newbie by
not indenting your code properly, which is impossible in Python.

Python is much, much cleaner. I don't know how anyone can honestly say
Ruby is cleaner than Python.