From: Jonathan Gardner on
On Feb 9, 1:51 am, waku <w...(a)idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
> 'stupid', 'wrong', 'deficient', 'terrible', ...  you're using strong
> words instead of concrete arguments, it might intimidate your
> opponents, but is hardly helpful in a fair discussion.

In today's day and age, I don't know how a text editor which cannot do
simple indentation can be considered anything but "stupid", "wrong",
"deficient", and "terrible". There is simply no excuse for this kind
of behavior on the part of the text editor.

I mean, how long has vi had the auto indent feature? How many decades
has emacs supported the same? This isn't new technology, or difficult
technology to implement. It's not even non-standard anymore. Heck, far
more advanced features, such as syntax highlighting, are standard in
all text editors.

Your problem is you're using something like Windows Notepad to edit
your code. Windows Notepad is a terrible tool for writing anything,
let alone writing code. Why in the world would any programming
language adapt itself to the mental deficiencies of Windows Notepad? I
mean, if you were an artist, would you use MS Paint to do anything
serious? If you did, would you complain that the art world has a
problem because they don't accept your paintings?

I strongly suggest you download one of the *hundreds* of free text
editors available for the Windows platform that give you the
indentation features you so sorely lack. I suggest ViM, though it has
a steep learning curve.
From: waku on
On Feb 9, 10:41 pm, Jonathan Gardner <jgard...(a)jonathangardner.net>
wrote:
> On Feb 9, 1:51 am, waku <w...(a)idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
> > 'stupid', 'wrong', 'deficient', 'terrible', ...  you're using strong
> > words instead of concrete arguments, it might intimidate your
> > opponents, but is hardly helpful in a fair discussion.
>
> In today's day and age, I don't know how a text editor which cannot do
> simple indentation can be considered anything but "stupid", "wrong",
> "deficient", and "terrible". There is simply no excuse for this kind
> of behavior on the part of the text editor.

i thought we were not discussing text editors, why should you insist
so much on diverting attention from the issue of a programmer being
*forced* to keep perfect indentation to the issue of an editor doing
autoindent or the like.

> I mean, how long has vi had the auto indent feature? How many decades
> has emacs supported the same? This isn't new technology, or difficult
> technology to implement. It's not even non-standard anymore. Heck, far
> more advanced features, such as syntax highlighting, are standard in
> all text editors.

wow! and then, back to the issue of enforced indentation in python?

> Your problem is you're using something like Windows Notepad to edit
> your code.

thin ice! you haven't got the faintest idea of what i use to edit my
code, do you.

Windows Notepad is a terrible tool for writing anything,
> let alone writing code. Why in the world would any programming
> language adapt itself to the mental deficiencies of Windows Notepad? I
> mean, if you were an artist, would you use MS Paint to do anything
> serious? If you did, would you complain that the art world has a
> problem because they don't accept your paintings?
>
> I strongly suggest you download one of the *hundreds* of free text
> editors available for the Windows platform that give you the
> indentation features you so sorely lack. I suggest ViM, though it has
> a steep learning curve.

listen to what people say before responding, and stop showing off.
again, you haven't used a single reasonable argument here.

vQ

From: Steve Holden on
waku wrote:
> On Feb 9, 10:41 pm, Jonathan Gardner <jgard...(a)jonathangardner.net>
> wrote:
>> On Feb 9, 1:51 am, waku <w...(a)idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
>>
>>> 'stupid', 'wrong', 'deficient', 'terrible', ... you're using strong
>>> words instead of concrete arguments, it might intimidate your
>>> opponents, but is hardly helpful in a fair discussion.
>> In today's day and age, I don't know how a text editor which cannot do
>> simple indentation can be considered anything but "stupid", "wrong",
>> "deficient", and "terrible". There is simply no excuse for this kind
>> of behavior on the part of the text editor.
>
> i thought we were not discussing text editors, why should you insist
> so much on diverting attention from the issue of a programmer being
> *forced* to keep perfect indentation to the issue of an editor doing
> autoindent or the like.

It's as sensible to complain about people being "*forced* to keep
perfect indentation" as it is to complain about people being *forced* to
use braces to delimit code blocks.

This is called "syntax", and it's a part of the language, so get over it
- this aspect of Python has been present in the language since its
inception, and it isn't going to change.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:51:11 -0500 Steve Holden <steve(a)holdenweb.com>
wrote:

> [snip]
> It's as sensible to complain about people being "*forced* to keep
> perfect indentation" as it is to complain about people being *forced*
> to use braces to delimit code blocks.
>
> This is called "syntax", and it's a part of the language, so get over
> it - this aspect of Python has been present in the language since its
> inception, and it isn't going to change.

Amen. Now everybody do a quick

from __future__ import braces

and get back to work.

/W