From: Marius Gedminas on
On Feb 4, 1:03 am, John Bokma <j...(a)castleamber.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Gardner <jgard...(a)jonathangardner.net> writes:
> > I can explain all of Python in an hour;
>
> OK, in that case I would say give it a go. Put it on YouTube, or write a
> blog post about it (or post it here). I am sure you will help a lot of
> people that way.

Someone already did: "Advanced Python or Understanding Python"
(76 minutes).

Worth watching.

Regards,
--
Marius Gedminas
From: Lou Pecora on
In article <7x8wb9j4r2.fsf(a)ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin <no.email(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Lou Pecora <pecora(a)anvil.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
> > after much noodling around and reading it hit me that I could just put
> > all that output of different types of variables into a list, hit it
> > with a repr() function to get a string version, and write the string
> > to a file -- no formatting necessary-- three lines of code. Later
> > reading in the string version (no formatting necessary), and hitting
> > it with an eval() function returned all the values I originally had in
> > those variables. How simple, but beautiful.
>
> FYI: I do that too sometimes, but in general using repr/eval that way
> is poor style and not very reliable. It's better to use the pickle
> module, which is intended for that sort of thing, or the json module
> if your datatypes are suitable and you want to follow a semi-standard.

Yeah, I should look into pickle. Haven't messed with that. Most of
what I do is numerical calculations for my consumption/research so quick
and easy comes first. Thanks for the hint.

--
-- Lou Pecora
From: John Bokma on
Marius Gedminas <mgedmin(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 4, 1:03 am, John Bokma <j...(a)castleamber.com> wrote:
>> Jonathan Gardner <jgard...(a)jonathangardner.net> writes:
>> > I can explain all of Python in an hour;
>>
>> OK, in that case I would say give it a go. Put it on YouTube, or write a
>> blog post about it (or post it here). I am sure you will help a lot of
>> people that way.
>
> Someone already did: "Advanced Python or Understanding Python"
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7760178035196894549
> (76 minutes).
>
> Worth watching.

Thanks, I will. And let you know if it succeeds at "explain all of
Python in 76 minutes". It's not a fair test, since I am not new to
Python, but let me see first ;-)

--
John Bokma j3b

From: John Bokma on
Marius Gedminas <mgedmin(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 4, 1:03 am, John Bokma <j...(a)castleamber.com> wrote:
>> Jonathan Gardner <jgard...(a)jonathangardner.net> writes:
>> > I can explain all of Python in an hour;
>>
>> OK, in that case I would say give it a go. Put it on YouTube, or write a
>> blog post about it (or post it here). I am sure you will help a lot of
>> people that way.
>
> Someone already did: "Advanced Python or Understanding Python"
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7760178035196894549
> (76 minutes).
>
> Worth watching.

Certainly worth watching (I learned some stuff), but in my opinion you
/need to have some Python experience/ to be able to follow so no
(IMO), someone didn't do it already.

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Jonathan Gardner on
On Feb 3, 3:39 pm, Steve Holden <st...(a)holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
> > On 2010-02-03 15:32 PM, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>
> >> I can explain all of Python in an hour; I doubt anyone will understand
> >> all of Python in an hour.
>
> > With all respect, talking about a subject without a reasonable chance of
> > your audience understanding the subject afterwards is not explaining.
> > It's just exposition.
>
> I agree. If the audience doesn't understand then you haven't explained it..

On the contrary, that explanation would have everything you need. It
would take an hour to read or listen to the explanation, but much more
than that time to truly understand everything that was said.