From: alex23 on
Steven D'Aprano <ste...(a)REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> You're using that term wrong. It looks to me that you don't actually know
> what a straw man argument is. A straw man argument is when somebody
> responds to a deliberately weakened or invalid argument as if it had been
> made by their opponent.

Jeez, Steve, you're beginning to sound like some kind of fallacy
zealot... ;)

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 22:43:56 -0800, alex23 wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <ste...(a)REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>> You're using that term wrong. It looks to me that you don't actually
>> know what a straw man argument is. A straw man argument is when
>> somebody responds to a deliberately weakened or invalid argument as if
>> it had been made by their opponent.
>
> Jeez, Steve, you're beginning to sound like some kind of fallacy
> zealot... ;)

Death to all those who confuse agumentum ad populum with argumentum ad
verecundiam!!!

--
Steven
From: Paul Rubin on
Chris Rebert <clp2(a)rebertia.com> writes:
> get_popular_name would have the type: IO () -> IO String

I don't know if it makes the explanation any clearer, but I think that
isn't quite right. The Python version would have type
String -> IO String. The parameterless Haskell version would just be an
I/O action, with type IO String. IO () is not really involved.
From: Steve Holden on
Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 22:43:56 -0800, alex23 wrote:
>
>> Steven D'Aprano <ste...(a)REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>>> You're using that term wrong. It looks to me that you don't actually
>>> know what a straw man argument is. A straw man argument is when
>>> somebody responds to a deliberately weakened or invalid argument as if
>>> it had been made by their opponent.
>> Jeez, Steve, you're beginning to sound like some kind of fallacy
>> zealot... ;)
>
> Death to all those who confuse agumentum ad populum with argumentum ad
> verecundiam!!!

Yeah, what did the zealots ever do for us?

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

From: Jonathan Gardner on
On Jan 30, 8:43 am, Nobody <nob...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:29:05 -0800, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> > Python is much, much cleaner. I don't know how anyone can honestly say
> > Ruby is cleaner than Python.
>
> I'm not familiar with Ruby, but most languages are cleaner than Python
> once you get beyond the "10-minute introduction" stage.

Probably too little, too late (haven't read all of the replies yet...)

I judge a language's simplicity by how long it takes to explain the
complete language. That is, what minimal set of documentation do you
need to describe all of the language? With a handful of statements,
and a very short list of operators, Python beats out every language in
the Algol family that I know of.

I can think of only one language (or rather, a class of languages)
that can every hope to be shorter than Python. I doubt you've heard of
it based on your comments, but I suggest you look into it.
Unfortunately, to fully appreciate that language, you're going to have
to study a textbook called "SICP". At the end of that textbook, you
are blessed to not only see but understand the complete compiler for
the language, in the language itself.