From: Andrew B. on
I'm using Quicken 2008 Deluxe R 9.

I routinely do a one-step update of my accounts. Quicken finishes the
update. I look at the first updated account and try to view the second.
Quicken freezes the whole computer. IOW, even if I manage to close
Quicken, Windows is unusable and I have to reboot. This happens every
time, or almost every time. Also, sometimes I simply go into Quicken to
take a look, without going online, and it freezes the computer.

Quicken 2008 didn't behave this way until sometime after the last patch
update. Quicken 2008 is also the only program I have that does this to
me.

Suggestions?
From: JimH on
Andrew B. wrote:
> I'm using Quicken 2008 Deluxe R 9.
>
> I routinely do a one-step update of my accounts. Quicken finishes the
> update. I look at the first updated account and try to view the second.
> Quicken freezes the whole computer. IOW, even if I manage to close
> Quicken, Windows is unusable and I have to reboot. This happens every
> time, or almost every time. Also, sometimes I simply go into Quicken to
> take a look, without going online, and it freezes the computer.
>
> Quicken 2008 didn't behave this way until sometime after the last patch
> update. Quicken 2008 is also the only program I have that does this to
> me.
>
> Suggestions?

I posted here quite a while ago about a similar problem. I worked with
Intuit support for several hours, but they could not resolve the issue.
I ended up taking the following steps that resolved it.

This is for Windows XP. Other operating systems will use a different
directory.

Delete the temporary directory
"c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\intuit\quicken"

If you are nervous about deleting it, you can just rename it.

Reinstall Quicken using the "repair" option. It will recreate the
directory, and seed it with fresh files.

I've had to do this several times after an initial download failed for a
new account. The download apparently corrupted one of the files in the
directory. I've never lost data, or had any adverse reaction to this
process, and it has repaired Quicken each time I've done it.

Hope this helps.
--
Jim
From: Andrew B. on
Thanks, Jim. I tried your suggestion. I also tried reinstalling after
removing folder from All Users, Administrator, and in Program Files. The
problem remained, and I tried more than once. So I dug deeper on the
Quicken site and did a Super Validate with the clock set back to 2008.
No help.

I also tried making a year end copy, and reducing my file size to only
records from this year. Interesting, this feature does nothing. Despite
telling it to backup everything before this year, and retain only what
is in this year, it copied everything and retained everything.

Anyway, if someone has another suggestion, I'd appreciate other ideas.
Also, I noticed that I don't even have to go online to cause this
problem. All i have to do is select one account after another. And the
computer freezes when I select the third or forth account. I don't
noticed a pattern in which account it is.

From: John Pollard on
Andrew B. wrote:
> I also tried making a year end copy, and reducing my file size to only
> records from this year. Interesting, this feature does nothing.
> Despite telling it to backup everything before this year, and retain
> only what is in this year, it copied everything and retained
> everything.

I don't have any particular reason to think this will help solve your
problem; but use the Quicken "Copy" feature instead of the "Year-End Copy"
feature.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: JimH on
Andrew B. wrote:
> Thanks, Jim. I tried your suggestion. I also tried reinstalling after
> removing folder from All Users, Administrator, and in Program Files. The
> problem remained, and I tried more than once. So I dug deeper on the
> Quicken site and did a Super Validate with the clock set back to 2008.
> No help.
>
> I also tried making a year end copy, and reducing my file size to only
> records from this year. Interesting, this feature does nothing. Despite
> telling it to backup everything before this year, and retain only what
> is in this year, it copied everything and retained everything.
>
> Anyway, if someone has another suggestion, I'd appreciate other ideas.
> Also, I noticed that I don't even have to go online to cause this
> problem. All i have to do is select one account after another. And the
> computer freezes when I select the third or forth account. I don't
> noticed a pattern in which account it is.

That is too bad. I was hopeful that it would work.

Well, your computer hasn't always done this, so I'm wondering when it
started, and what has changed on your computer prior to the problem
starting.

Do any other programs have problems? Do you run many other programs? Do
you run anything that would stress the system to see if any components
are going bad. High end games or a free demo might show up a hardware
problem. Even running a disk defrag would show if the hard drive is
reliable.

Did you upgrade or install any new hardware or device drivers recently?
Additional RAM? Webcam? video card? USB hard drive? Anything?

Did you install any resident programs that are running in the
background? New antivirus, firewall, or spyware protection?

When I have had complete lockups, it is often related to RAM problems or
a bad video card or faulty video driver installation. I've seen all
three in the past few months.

Is the interior of the computer dirty? Running the furnace through the
winter can generate some dust that may make components overheat. I like
to use compressed air to blow out any dust.

Just some ideas. I don't even know what type of computer you have, so
these are pretty general ideas to see if the problem is somewhere other
than Quicken.

--
Jim