From: Andrew on
Han wrote:
> "Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in
>
>> Geez - so R3 is now available with the fix to allow overwriting of
>> backup file.
>> BUT!!
>>
>> Not that I am complaining, but they implemented it so that when Q
>> sees a backup file of the same name, you get a pop up box that gives
>> you TWO choices - one is to allow overwriting, the other just
>> CANCELS the operation! No option to NOT overwrite but STILL do a
>> backup with a new name. That's going to get some people bummed out
>> since I suspect some folks LIKE having the multiples (indeed, I
>> would like to still have that option perhaps too!).
>>
> Thanks Andrew I had been planning to go from my current Q2008 DL
> (US) to the Q2010 version. But if they can't make a functional
> backup system that will behave as I want it (ultiple backups with
> dates in the filename) then Intuit will have to wait for my money
> until they fix the backup process properly.

Well, Q 2010 DID do the multiple backups for R1-R2. That was the problem;
the user had no control - it was their way or the highway. Unlike previous
versions, it ALWAYS made a new backup with a different file name (-1, 2
etc.). They took that function away due to pressure not to create so many
copies, but they should have left the option in so that some people might
like the way it worked recently (multiple backups, but have a choice.);
well, given one or the other, I'm glad it is back to the way it worked
previously.

Regards -

- Andrew