From: Andrew on
Geez - so R3 is now available with the fix to allow overwriting of backup
file.
BUT!!

Not that I am complaining, but they implemented it so that when Q sees a
backup file of the same name, you get a pop up box that gives you TWO
choices - one is to allow overwriting, the other just CANCELS the operation!
No option to NOT overwrite but STILL do a backup with a new name. That's
going to get some people bummed out since I suspect some folks LIKE having
the multiples (indeed, I would like to still have that option perhaps too!).

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Han on
"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in

> Geez - so R3 is now available with the fix to allow overwriting of
> backup file.
> BUT!!
>
> Not that I am complaining, but they implemented it so that when Q sees
> a backup file of the same name, you get a pop up box that gives you
> TWO choices - one is to allow overwriting, the other just CANCELS the
> operation! No option to NOT overwrite but STILL do a backup with a new
> name. That's going to get some people bummed out since I suspect some
> folks LIKE having the multiples (indeed, I would like to still have
> that option perhaps too!).

Thanks Andrew I had been planning to go from my current Q2008 DL (US) to
the Q2010 version. But if they can't make a functional backup system that
will behave as I want it (ultiple backups with dates in the filename) then
Intuit will have to wait for my money until they fix the backup process
properly.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Margaret on
Andrew wrote:
> Geez - so R3 is now available with the fix to allow overwriting of backup
> file.
> BUT!!
>
> Not that I am complaining, but they implemented it so that when Q sees a
> backup file of the same name, you get a pop up box that gives you TWO
> choices - one is to allow overwriting, the other just CANCELS the operation!
> No option to NOT overwrite but STILL do a backup with a new name. That's
> going to get some people bummed out since I suspect some folks LIKE having
> the multiples (indeed, I would like to still have that option perhaps too!).

Hmmm. Too bad they didn't make a global setting where we could set how
we'd like backup to occur, i.e., multiple daily backups or one backup
per day with overwriting. IMNSHO, it should be possible to at least
turn off the prompt popup. Regardless, that popup should offer to
overwrite the existing backup or write a new one with a number appended
(as it works in R2).

I like to run my backup from a shortcut on the tool bar, which goes
right ahead and does the backup w/o interruption. If this change means
I now have an extra click or two, I won't be happy. <grumble, grumble>

I'll be interested to see how this actually works, once I'm offered the
update. As the new scenario is described, makes me wonder if whomever
designed this actually does backups!

Regards,

Margaret
From: Marc Auslander on
Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> writes:

> Thanks Andrew I had been planning to go from my current Q2008 DL (US) to
> the Q2010 version. But if they can't make a functional backup system that
> will behave as I want it (ultiple backups with dates in the filename) then
> Intuit will have to wait for my money until they fix the backup process
> properly.
>

> --
> Best regards
> Han

No - Intuit will have to wait no longer than 2011 when they cripple 2008 and give
you no choice :-(
From: Han on
Marc Auslander <marcslists(a)gmail.NOSPAM.com> wrote in

> Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> writes:
>>>
>> Thanks Andrew I had been planning to go from my current Q2008 DL
>> (US) to the Q2010 version. But if they can't make a functional
>> backup system that will behave as I want it (ultiple backups with
>> dates in the filename) then Intuit will have to wait for my money
>> until they fix the backup process properly.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards
>> Han
>
> No - Intuit will have to wait no longer than 2011 when they cripple
> 2008 and give you no choice :-(

Ha! But then I will likely be retired and change over to Linux!

--
Best regards
Han