From: RichA on
Take with a grain of salt.

http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=42547
From: Doug McDonald on
On 7/8/2010 10:20 PM, RichA wrote:
> Take with a grain of salt.
>
> http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=42547

Indeed, tiny grains of salt!

But while this piece is hype, quantum dots have in the past,
historically, actually turned out to be the "best" solution
in about 50% of the hyped applications. I've used the things
in my research, and they do, in some cases, work miracles.

One advantage is the they have a sharp red-edge absorption
cutoff, so the blue channel would need only a UV removal
filter, the green channel only a yellow filter, and the
red channel only a red filter. No IR filter needed.

Doug McDonald
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:30:55 -0500, in <i17f5l$7t5$1(a)news.acm.uiuc.edu>,
Doug McDonald <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/8/2010 10:20 PM, RichA wrote:
>> Take with a grain of salt.
>>
>> http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=42547
>
>Indeed, tiny grains of salt!
>
>But while this piece is hype, quantum dots have in the past,
>historically, actually turned out to be the "best" solution
>in about 50% of the hyped applications. I've used the things
>in my research, and they do, in some cases, work miracles.
>
>One advantage is the they have a sharp red-edge absorption
>cutoff, so the blue channel would need only a UV removal
>filter, the green channel only a yellow filter, and the
>red channel only a red filter. No IR filter needed.

Old news.
As I noted before, credentials are quite impressive:

Ted Sargent - Chief Technology Officer and Founder

Ted holds the rank of professor and Canada research chair in
nanotechnology at the University of Toronto. In 2004-6 he was also
visiting professor of nanotechnology at the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology. In 2003 Mr. Sargent was named "one of the world's top
young innovators" by MIT's Technology Review. He was awarded a Canada
Research Chair at the University of Toronto in 2000. He received the
B.Sc.Eng. (Engineering Physics) from Queen's University in 1995 and
the Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering (Photonics) from the
University of Toronto in 1998.

--
John

"At every crossway on the road that leads to the future, each progressive
spirit is opposed by a thousand men appointed to guard the past." -Maeterlinck