From: bizarrefish on
Hello, all.
I just got quartus II linux web edition operational on my Arch64
lappy. This involved installing a bunch of libraries, tweaking my /etc/
issue file to correct something that altera was getting upset about,
and LD_PRELOADing a library or two.
All a lot of messing around, but it ended up actually working. JTAG n
all.

Unfortunately, just several days ago, it started to fail. When viewing
certain files, in the built-in text editor, it would freeze up.
The only way to un-freeze is to attach to quartus with gdb, and return
from the current function with null by providing the command "return
(void*)0".
The function that it's trapped in is LexerModule::find(int),
apparently part of scintilla.
I have only seen one other mention of this specific issue, and that's
here: http://www.mail-archive.com/scintilla-interest(a)lyra.org/msg02093.html
No help there, i can't modify the function that quartus uses, because
they have it as part of a proprietary shared object.

Is there any kind of workaround for this, or am I at the mercy of
altera to come out with a fix?

Lee.
Any help here would be great.
From: Mike Treseler on
bizarrefish wrote:

> I just got quartus II linux web edition operational on my Arch64
> lappy. This involved installing a bunch of libraries, tweaking my /etc/
> issue file to correct something that altera was getting upset about,
> and LD_PRELOADing a library or two.
> All a lot of messing around, but it ended up actually working. JTAG n
> all.
> Is there any kind of workaround for this, or am I at the mercy of
> altera to come out with a fix?

If I were using the recommended distro,
I would file a case with Altera
and use windows in the mean time.

-- Mike Treseler
From: bizarrefish on
On Feb 21, 4:53 pm, Mike Treseler <mtrese...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> bizarrefish wrote:
> > I just got quartus II linux web edition operational on my Arch64
> > lappy. This involved installing a bunch of libraries, tweaking my /etc/
> > issue file to correct something that altera was getting upset about,
> > and LD_PRELOADing a library or two.
> > All a lot of messing around, but it ended up actually working. JTAG n
> > all.
> > Is there any kind of workaround for this, or am I at the mercy of
> > altera to come out with a fix?
>
> If I were using the recommended distro,
> I would file a case with Altera
> and use windows in the mean time.
>
>        -- Mike Treseler

Gah, screwit. I'll stick it in CentOS 5 in virtualbox. hope the
performance hit isn't too massive.
From: Anssi Saari on
bizarrefish <leeguy92(a)googlemail.com> writes:

> Gah, screwit. I'll stick it in CentOS 5 in virtualbox. hope the
> performance hit isn't too massive.

I haven't played with it much, but the Linux Quartus 9.1 beta seemed
to have issues running in VirtualBoxed Centos 5 on my laptop. As in
crashing problems, when running the fitter for some simple example
designs (complex multiplier and FIR filter examples from Altera's
site). OTOH, same examples work fine in the laptop's native 64-bit
Fedora 12.