From: Wastrel on
On Apr 21, 1:08 pm, Jon Beniston <j...(a)beniston.com> wrote:
> It's running ok for me on Windows 7 64-bit.
>
> What particular part of the software are you having problems with?
>
> Jon

Well it installs alright, but Altium Designer 6 can't find it -
whereas it did on my XP box. One problem is that Windows 7 likes to
put 32 bit legacy programs under Program FIles(x86), but Quartus won't
install there because it can't handle spaces or special characters in
it's filenames.
From: Wastrel on
On Apr 21, 6:42 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Wastrel <stephensdigi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > My XP box died the other day and was replaced by a 64 bit Windows7
> > machine. Now my $%^&Quartus II software won't run, and Altera says
> > Win7 ain't supported. Anybody know of a workaround? I'm developing on
> > the Altera Cyclone III FPGA on the Altium Designer NanoBoard 3000.
>
> Win7 has an option to tell the program that it is running on
> a previous version of windows, as far as such checks are concerned.
>
> As far as the design software, that is likely to work.
>
> As you might need a device driver to talk to USB to download
> the bitstream, that might be system dependent, such that it
> won't work.
>
> -- glen

The bitstream gets downloaded by Altium Designer via JTAG and that
part still works. Can you elaborate on the previous version of windows
option. As I mentioned earlier, running Quartus under Program
Files(x86) won't work becuase Quartus won't install under that
directory.

Thanks,

Bob
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Wastrel <stephensdigital(a)gmail.com> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>> As you might need a device driver to talk to USB to download
>> the bitstream, that might be system dependent, such that it
>> won't work.

> The bitstream gets downloaded by Altium Designer via JTAG and that
> part still works. Can you elaborate on the previous version of windows
> option. As I mentioned earlier, running Quartus under Program
> Files(x86) won't work becuase Quartus won't install under that
> directory.

Right click the program icon, properties, compatibility tab,
and choose the version you want to be. As I understand it, this
is what windows returns when the program asks which version it
is running on. It seems that you want to do this for this installer,
which is checking which version it is installing under. You might
also do it to the installed program.

-- glen
From: Rich Webb on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:19:07 -0700 (PDT), Wastrel
<stephensdigital(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 21, 1:08�pm, Jon Beniston <j...(a)beniston.com> wrote:
>> It's running ok for me on Windows 7 64-bit.
>>
>> What particular part of the software are you having problems with?
>>
>> Jon
>
>Well it installs alright, but Altium Designer 6 can't find it -
>whereas it did on my XP box. One problem is that Windows 7 likes to
>put 32 bit legacy programs under Program FIles(x86), but Quartus won't
>install there because it can't handle spaces or special characters in
>it's filenames.

Tell it to use the 8.3 name for the directory (one way of seeing this is
to do a "dir /X" from a command prompt). For the directory above, the
name would be "c:\progra~2\".

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: Wastrel on
On Apr 23, 12:39 pm, Rich Webb <bbew...(a)mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:19:07 -0700 (PDT), Wastrel
>
> <stephensdigi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 21, 1:08 pm, Jon Beniston <j...(a)beniston.com> wrote:
> >> It's running ok for me on Windows 7 64-bit.
>
> >> What particular part of the software are you having problems with?
>
> >> Jon
>
> >Well it installs alright, but Altium Designer 6 can't find it -
> >whereas it did on my XP box. One problem is that Windows 7 likes to
> >put 32 bit legacy programs under Program FIles(x86), but Quartus won't
> >install there because it can't handle spaces or special characters in
> >it's filenames.
>
> Tell it to use the 8.3 name for the directory (one way of seeing this is
> to do a "dir /X" from a command prompt). For the directory above, the
> name would be "c:\progra~2\".
>
> --
> Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Rich and Glen,

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I was able to install it under c:
\progra~2 and direct windows to run it in XP service pack 3
compatibility mode. Unfortunately, now Altium throws a "Unsupported
version of Altera Quartus II" message. Nice try though!

Thanks again

Bob