From: HT-Lab on
I received a Sigasi Editor update email which had the following statement:

"Xilinx no longer ships ModelSim with ISE but now ships its own HDL simulator
that enables functional and timing simulations for VHDL, Verilog and mixed
VHDL/Verilog designs: ISim."

Is this correct?

Although ISIM is not bad it is still a long way from being Modelsim (even though
the MXE(starter) edition is fairly limited),

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

From: Marc Guardiani on
On Apr 21, 4:19 am, "HT-Lab" <han...(a)ht-lab.com> wrote:
> I received a Sigasi Editor update email which had the following statement:
>
> "Xilinx no longer ships ModelSim with ISE but now ships its own HDL simulator
> that enables functional and timing simulations for VHDL, Verilog and mixed
> VHDL/Verilog designs: ISim."
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Although ISIM is not bad it is still a long way from being Modelsim (even though
> the MXE(starter) edition is fairly limited),
>
> Hanswww.ht-lab.com

Interesting. Altera is taking exactly the opposite approach. The first
time I started Quartus II v9.1 SP1 I got a message that said their
native simulator would not be included "in future versions" of the
software. Talking with my FAE, he stated that starting with version
10.0 only ModelSim-Altera would be included.

--Marc
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:19:10 +0100, HT-Lab wrote:

> I received a Sigasi Editor update email which had the following
> statement:
>
> "Xilinx no longer ships ModelSim with ISE but now ships its own HDL
> simulator that enables functional and timing simulations for VHDL,
> Verilog and mixed VHDL/Verilog designs: ISim."
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Although ISIM is not bad it is still a long way from being Modelsim
> (even though the MXE(starter) edition is fairly limited),
>
> Hans
> www.ht-lab.com

Has anyone here tried the Xilinx simulator? How is it's performance
relative to commercial simulators?

Modelsim Starter is severely crippled so it wouldn't be a particularly
hard task to produce a simulator that out performs it. Both Xilinx and
Altera of produced synthesis tools that are competitive with Synplify, it
would be interesting if Xilinx had ambitions to produce a simulator that
was as fast as Questa, or better yet as fast as NCsim.
From: Ed McGettigan on
On Apr 21, 1:19 am, "HT-Lab" <han...(a)ht-lab.com> wrote:
> I received a Sigasi Editor update email which had the following statement:
>
> "Xilinx no longer ships ModelSim with ISE but now ships its own HDL simulator
> that enables functional and timing simulations for VHDL, Verilog and mixed
> VHDL/Verilog designs: ISim."
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Although ISIM is not bad it is still a long way from being Modelsim (even though
> the MXE(starter) edition is fairly limited),
>
> Hanswww.ht-lab.com

Xilinx still provides ModelSim XE (Xilinx Edition),
http://www.xilinx.com/tools/mxe.htm

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc
From: Anssi Saari on
"HT-Lab" <hans64(a)ht-lab.com> writes:

> Although ISIM is not bad it is still a long way from being Modelsim (even though
> the MXE(starter) edition is fairly limited),

I dunno, but I was still able to download the latest Modelsim MXE from
Xilinx today, version 6.4b from 04/06/2009. But considering it's
fairly old, maybe it's true. I'm sure Xilinx is very happy if they can
stop stuffing Mentor's coffers and ship their own ISIM instead.