From: Wastrel on
My XP box died the other day and was replaced by a 64 bit Windows7
machine. Now my $%^&Quartus II software won't run, and Altera says
Win7 ain't supported. Anybody know of a workaround? I'm developing on
the Altera Cyclone III FPGA on the Altium Designer NanoBoard 3000.

Thx,

Bob
From: Jon Beniston on
It's running ok for me on Windows 7 64-bit.

What particular part of the software are you having problems with?

Jon
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Wastrel <stephensdigital(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> My XP box died the other day and was replaced by a 64 bit Windows7
> machine. Now my $%^&Quartus II software won't run, and Altera says
> Win7 ain't supported. Anybody know of a workaround? I'm developing on
> the Altera Cyclone III FPGA on the Altium Designer NanoBoard 3000.

Win7 has an option to tell the program that it is running on
a previous version of windows, as far as such checks are concerned.

As far as the design software, that is likely to work.

As you might need a device driver to talk to USB to download
the bitstream, that might be system dependent, such that it
won't work.

-- glen
From: Derek Simmons on
On Apr 21, 4:08 pm, Jon Beniston <j...(a)beniston.com> wrote:
> It's running ok for me on Windows 7 64-bit.
>
> What particular part of the software are you having problems with?
>
> Jon

Have you found any advantages to running Quartus II on WIndows 7 or a
64 bit OS?

Thanks,
Derek
From: Jon Beniston on
On 23 Apr, 18:19, Wastrel <stephensdigi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 1:08 pm, Jon Beniston <j...(a)beniston.com> wrote:
>
> > It's running ok for me on Windows 7 64-bit.
>
> > What particular part of the software are you having problems with?
>
> > Jon
>
> Well it installs alright, but Altium Designer 6 can't find it -
> whereas it did on my XP box.

So could that not be a problem with AD6, rather than Quartus?

> One problem is that Windows 7 likes to
> put 32 bit legacy programs under Program FIles(x86), but Quartus won't
> install there because it can't handle spaces or special characters in
> it's filenames.

There is an option to say where you want to install it which worked
fine for me.

Jon