From: Ian McCall on
I have a Windows-only slide scanner that I'm starting to make use of.
It comes bundled with Silverfast and is basically ok, but the dust and
scratch removal bit is an utter pain since it takes so long.

What would be better would be for me to be able to scan them
unprocessed, then batch filter the lot. I don't have Photoshop but do
have Pixelmator so can use Quartz imaging filters. Is there a Quartz
dust'n'scratch remover anywhere?

Cheers,
Ian

From: Andrew Collier on
In article <7jbij1F34orqeU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> I have a Windows-only slide scanner that I'm starting to make use of.
> It comes bundled with Silverfast and is basically ok, but the dust and
> scratch removal bit is an utter pain since it takes so long.
>
> What would be better would be for me to be able to scan them
> unprocessed, then batch filter the lot.

Be careful - the higher-end slide scanners filter dust by augmenting the
image with an infrared surface scan, this helps them distinguish between
a dusty picture, and a photograph of some dust (for example). The extra
data generated by this process is most likely not going to be available
in the saved files you might batch-filter.

Andrew

--
--- Andrew Collier ---- To reply by email, please use:
---- http://www.intensity.org.uk/ --- 'andrew {at} intensity.org.uk'
From: Ian McCall on
On 2009-10-10 21:04:15 +0100, Andrew Collier
<spambucket(a)intensity.org.uk> said:

> Be careful - the higher-end slide scanners filter dust by augmenting the
> image with an infrared surface scan, this helps them distinguish between
> a dusty picture, and a photograph of some dust (for example). The extra
> data generated by this process is most likely not going to be available
> in the saved files you might batch-filter.

Hmm - true. And that's exactly what mine's doing - it's a Plustek
OpticFilm 7200i, specifically one of these:
<http://www.plustek.com/product/7200i.asp>

Looks like Silverfast it is then. Shame - scanning at 7200dpi is just
unfeasibly slow and I've had to step down (I have about 2000 slides to
do, it takes greater than five and not far off ten minutes to do a
single slide at 7200dpi and greater than 90% of that is dust/scratch
removal)

Cheers,
Ian

From: Ian McCall on
On 2009-10-10 23:35:09 +0100, Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> said:

> Are they Kodachrome?

Some are - some are older, but quite a few are Kodachrome.

Cheers,
Ian