From: maxwell on
On Sep 2, 8:53 am, Peter Christensen <p...(a)peterchristensen.eu> wrote:
> On 2 Sep., 17:39, maxwell <s...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

> > > This was already old and essentially rejected when I was in school >30
> > > years ago. Tensor approaches have proved to be MUCH more effective, and
> > > of MUCH wider applicability.

> > > One problem with this approach is that this is not really a 4-vector
> > > (though it sometimes masquerades as one in elementary books).
>
> > > The basic attractiveness of quaternions is that their norm is naturally
> > > the same as the norm of a 4-vector in the Minkowski coordinates of SR.
> > > But AFAIK they are completely unable to sensibly and simply handle other
> > > coordinates -- we physicists often use spherical and cylindrical
> > > coordinates, and quaternions no longer have the same norm naturally. And
> > > then there are the curved manifolds of GR....

> > > Hmmm. Count degrees of freedom in the transform and you'll find they are
> > > the same as the matrix method (of course!). Not really "simpler", merely
> > > different.
>
> > > Please remember the world has 3+1 dimensions, not 1+1. So write the
> > > Lorentz transform in an arbitrary direction: you'll find it gets
> > > complicated and quite messy (with a hyper-complex constraint equation to
> > > ensure it is a valid Lorentz transform) -- Not really "easier" is it?
>
> > > BTW theoretical physicists almost never perform a Lorentz transform --
> > > they work with invariants most of the time so there is no need.
> > > Experimenters, of course, often use them because the theory is usually
> > > expressed in the center-of-mass frame, but the detectors are in the
> > > laboratory frame, and those are often not at all the same.
>
> > > Note, however, that quaternions and especially octonions have other
> > > applications in physics. Not as "4-vectors" but because of their group
> > > properties. I am not an expert in this....
>
> > > Tom Roberts
>
> > Sorry, Tom, you just cut your own throat. It is exactly the fact that
> > the world is 3D in space that destroys the simplicity of the Lorentz
> > transformation. The transforms only form a group in 1D space while
> > electrons always move in 3D due to the so-called Lorentz force. The
> > LT's also get messy when the two inertial reference frames do not
> > initially align exactly at common origins of space & time. All the
> > applications of quaternions in physics since 1900 have used bi-
> > quaternions.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> May I just about about these bi-quaterions. -What's that, do you have
> some link? (Thanks in advance)
>
> Rgds,
> PC
Hi Peter, two great sites for info on quaternions are:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/HistMath/People/Hamilton/Quaternions.html
& arXiv:math-ph/0201058
The authors of this last tribute to W. R. Hamilton have also created a
massive bibliography that is available at:
arXiv:math-ph/0510059
Good luck, you will find you will be very pleased with your efforts
with quats.

From: Peter Christensen on
On 3 Sep., 02:48, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> maxwell wrote:
> > The [Lorentz] transforms only form a group in 1D space
>
> This is simply not true. The Lorentz group is a group of transforms on
> (3+1)-dimension spacetime.

Yep, 3 in space and one in time, therefore the name spacetime. :-)
(one would not be enough, I mean)

> > The
> > LT's also get messy when the two inertial reference frames do not
> > initially align exactly at common origins of space & time.
>
> Not really. Yes, ELEMENTARY books only present the homogeneous Lorentz
> transform in 1+1 dimension, but the formulas for the complete Poincare'
> group in 3+1 dimensions are well known, and not very complicated.

Yes again. But one thing is going from the 1+1 presentation to a 3+1
representation. Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transform#Matrix_form

Another thing is that we need two things more:

* Translations
* Rotations

First, when our physical laws apply to a point in spacetime, then of
course they should ALSO apply to other points in spacetime. (Otherwise
the laws would be worthless) -I mean Bill and Bob should get the same
results
even though they live at different places and different times. That's
the spacetime translations. -There are 4
totally: 3 spatial and one in time

Second there are the rotations, actually 3 of them in a 3D space. It's
really not so strange, or abstract, as it
sounds. Just take an example as an aeroplane in the air.
It can turn in three different ways in it's 3D space: First it can
turn from left to right. Then it can select to go up in hight or the
opposite. At last it can roll around it's main axis. -It doesn't
really take a professor in group theory to see this.

Third, we have 3 socalled boosts. That's really the homogenous Lorents
Transform that was the real subject of the posting. It causes 3
socalled boosts, and it doesn't really matter if you use Newtonian
mechanics or
'Einsteinian mechanics'. But there is a difference in the
transformation itself: Today we ALWAYS use the Lorentz
Transformation if v is comparable with c.

The Poincaré group have these 10 dimensions. And it's well
understood, TR is completely right.

-And recently Perelman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman)
improved the understanding even further, by the way.

-But if you try to do a whole Poincaré transformation, then I'm not
sure if I would say "Not very complicated"...

:-)

'Pet C'

From: Peter Christensen on
On 3 Sep., 03:08, YBM <ybm...(a)nooos.fr> wrote:
> maxwell a écrit :
>

>From France I C...

> >> This is simply not true. The Lorentz group is a group of transforms on
> >> (3+1)-dimension spacetime.

> >> Not really. Yes, ELEMENTARY books only present the homogeneous Lorentz
> >> transform in 1+1 dimension, but the formulas for the complete Poincare'
> >> group in 3+1 dimensions are well known, and not very complicated.
>
> >> Tom Roberts
>
> > Exactly my point, Tom. One can always apply group theory to any
> > vector in 3D but that is just being pedantic. If the so-called
> > ELEMENTARY textbooks were to show the full Poincare transforms, people
> > would realize that the elegant simplicity of SR is not so 'elegant'
> > after all.
>
> So what ? Elegance is not on formulas but on structures.
>
> Did you ever write down the complete 3+1 galilean transformations ?- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

Scientists should probably avoid words like 'elegant', or even worse
'beautiful' in general, IMHO.

Usefull or not usefull would prob be better.

-But who knows what is..?

I must just say, that I do not feel the slightest bit better than
others. I also just work on the socalled 'beautifull things' while
having this strange intuition that they MUST be usefull somewhere.

Is it silly to think like that, or is it just a 'good' intuition?

PC
(Denmark)

From: Owen on
On Aug 30, 2:15 pm, Peter Christensen <p...(a)peterchristensen.eu>
wrote:
> More about these 4-dimensionsl numbers here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion
> (Please notice, that I prefer to use j, k and l, because I would like
> to keep the symbol 'i' free, so that I can still use ordinary complex
> numbers without confusing people)
>
> As I can understand from wikipedia, the idea of using there 'hyper-
> complex' number simply as a replacement for the four-vectors in
> physics (I'm thinking about special relativity) is new. (Sorry if I'm
> wrong.)
>
> I just realised, that this complex structure can give some really nice
> results, when the usual four-vectors are replaced with these (very
> nice) structures .
>
> To try to be abstract from the physics, and focus on the math, here is
> a brief summary:
>
> In physics these two types of socalled four-vectors are very often
> used:
>
> Position four-vector: R = (ct,x,y,z) where c is the speed of light, t
> is coordinate time and (x,y,z) is a spatial position. IMHO, things
> works much better, if we instead use c*t+j*x+k*y+l*z, where j, k and l
> are the the quaternion parameters as defined above in the reference.
>
> Another very important four-vector is the socalled momentum four-
> vector P = (E/c,p_x,p_y,p_z). Where E is the energy, c is the speed of
> light constant and the p's are the momentum in the different
> directions of space. Again a formulation with quaternions is much more
> elegant: P = E/c + j*p_x+k*p_y+l*p_z.
>
> Before the use of quaternions, we had to use vectors and multiply
> these vectors with matrices when going from one physical system to
> another. With the quaternions things are just so much easier, as I
> will just show in these examples:
>
> Position four-vector in one spatial direction:
>
> R = ct + j*x
>
> When transformed with the Lorentz-transform:
>
> R' = ct'+j*x' = 1/(1-(v/c)^2) (ct+j*x)
>
> or the other way around:
>
> R = ct+j*x = (1-(v/c)^2) (ct'+j*x')
>
> -Just so much easier than usual with vectors and matrix. (v is the
> velocity of our particle I just have to add...)
>
> The same with the momentum four-vector:
>
> P' = E'/c + j*p' = 1/(1-(v/c)^2) * (E/c + j*p)
>
> Or the other way around:
>
> P = E/c + j*p = (1-(v/c)^2) * (E'/c + j*p')
>
> So these hyper-complex numbers do definately have application in
> physics.
>
> An interesting area for research, IMHO. -It's usefull for much more
> than just 3D rotations in computer-graphics. I think, that these
> numbers are very relevant for both the work with the Poincaré group
> and quantum Mechanics in general. Simply math when it's most
> interesting.. :-)
>
> Rgds,
> Peter Christensen
>
> (Copenhagen, Denmark)

We can also develop hypercomplex numbers as complex-complex numbers.

C1 a+bi, where a,b are real and i^2=-1.

C2 (a+bi)+(c+di)j, where a,b,c,d are real and: i^2=j^2=-1, ij=ji=k,
ik=ki=-j, jk=kj=-i, k^2=+1, ~(i=j), ~(i=k), ~(j=k).

The usual functions that apply to complex numbers also apply to
complex-complex numbers with the addition that the reciprocal function
is denied for zero and zero divisors.
(a+bi)+(c+di)j=(a+bi+cj+dk).

C3 ((a+bi)+(c+di)j)+((e+fi)+(g+hi)j)l
...=(a+bi+cj+dk)+(e+fi+gj+hk)l
...=(a+bi+cj+dk+el+fm+gn+ho).

Where a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h are real and: i^2=j^2=l^2=-1, ij=ji=k, il=li=m,
jl=lj=n, kl=lk=o, and so on for any complex-complex number of
dimention 2^n where n is a natural number.

From: Peter Christensen on
On 3 Sep., 12:28, Owen <owenhol...(a)rogers.com> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2:15 pm, Peter Christensen <p...(a)peterchristensen.eu>
> wrote:

> We can also develop hypercomplex numbers as complex-complex numbers.
>
> C1 a+bi, where a,b are real and i^2=-1.
>
> C2 (a+bi)+(c+di)j, where a,b,c,d are real and: i^2=j^2=-1, ij=ji=k,
> ik=ki=-j, jk=kj=-i, k^2=+1, ~(i=j), ~(i=k), ~(j=k).
>
> The usual functions that apply to complex numbers also apply to
> complex-complex numbers with the addition that the reciprocal function
> is denied for zero and zero divisors.
> (a+bi)+(c+di)j=(a+bi+cj+dk).
>
> C3 ((a+bi)+(c+di)j)+((e+fi)+(g+hi)j)l
> ..=(a+bi+cj+dk)+(e+fi+gj+hk)l
> ..=(a+bi+cj+dk+el+fm+gn+ho).
>
> Where a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h are real and: i^2=j^2=l^2=-1, ij=ji=k, il=li=m,
> jl=lj=n, kl=lk=o, and so on for any complex-complex number of
> dimention 2^n where n is a natural number.

Thanks, I'm interested

B Rgds,
PC

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last