From: Barbara Duprey on
Mauricio Rubio Parra wrote:
> Hello, I wanted to know why it isn't possible to save files in the latest
> Microsoft Office version (xlsx, pptx, docx) from openoffice? And whether
> this feature will or will not be available soon?
> Thank you for your time.
> Best regards,
>
> Mauricio Rubio P.

There probably is no such capability because Microsoft forced through a
new (and incompatible) "standard" for its "open" formats, which will use
a similar mechanism, and I think the same extensions, if and when they
ever get around to supporting it. So the Office 2007 versions appear to
be both proprietary and dead-end. If there is any actual capability that
could be saved in those formats, but not in the older ones, it would
take a great deal of extra programming effort for very little payback to
provide that type of file saving.

Just a guess, of course -- I'm not an OOo developer.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Bruce Martin on
Dear Open Source Confr�res:

It seems to me that there may be some who prefer Microsoft because it
costs money. The tacit effect being to create an effect of exclusivity
amongst themselves.

Of course this would serve Microsoft's interests inauspiciously well.

Rhetorically I ask: does this mean that users will have to be like the
guy in the Tareyton cigarette television ad of some years back and,
black eye visible, "rather fight than switch?"

Could this mean 2 separate economic camps as the 2 collaborations fight
it out on a global economic scale?

Rhetorically curious about the inausipisous!

Bruce M.

From: Alexandro Colorado on
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Mauricio Rubio Parra
<mauriciorubiopld(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I wanted to know why it isn't possible to save files in the latest
> Microsoft Office version (xlsx, pptx, docx) from openoffice? And whether
> this feature will or will not be available soon?

Because this is an illegal format, and OOo want to contribute to the
use of OpenDocument format as the true office document standard.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Michael Adams on
On Wednesday 09 June 2010 02:56, Mauricio Rubio Parra wrote:
> Hello, I wanted to know why it isn't possible to save files in the latest
> Microsoft Office version (xlsx, pptx, docx) from openoffice? And whether
> this feature will or will not be available soon?

These formats are still a moving target. Microsoft has given the formats to
Ecma which has passed them through ISO/IEC Standardisation process, but
Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 use the formats as originally passed on to
Ecma. There is therefore concern that the existing OOXML formats will become
orphans when Microsoft Office does adopt the International Standard it helped
to initiate.

For the moment it is better practise to save in ODF formats or even DOC, PPT
and XLS formats. ODF is an established ISO/IEC International Standard since
2006 and the old binary DOC etc. formats are well supported on almost all
office software.

HTH
--
Michael

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 06/08/2010 10:07 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Mauricio Rubio Parra
> <mauriciorubiopld(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello, I wanted to know why it isn't possible to save files in the latest
>> Microsoft Office version (xlsx, pptx, docx) from openoffice? And whether
>> this feature will or will not be available soon?
>
> Because this is an illegal format, and OOo want to contribute to the
> use of OpenDocument format as the true office document standard.

Illegal in what way and to whom?

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org