From: Nancy on
I want to make a spreadsheet that shows multiple book authors and the books
they have written. I want to set it up so that I can sort the list by last
name of the author, but the books they write need to go with their name as it
is moved. I have tried using column A for the author and column B for the
books, but when column A authors is sorted, their books don't go with their
name. I also tried indenting their books under their name with the same
results. The data doesn't have to be in two columns, but their books need to
go with their name. What can I do to make this happen? Thanks for any
advice.
From: FSt1 on
hi
are you selecting the entire range to sort ie column A and Column B??

regards
FSt1

From: Gord Dibben on
Another take on this.

Do you have blanks in the Author's column?

like so in Columns A and B....

author1 book1
book2
book3
book4
author2 book1
book2
book3
book4

To get the books to sort with the author you must fill in the blanks.

Select column A and F5>Special>Blanks>OK

Type = sign in active blank the point or arrow up to cell above and hit
CTRL + Enter to fill in the blanks.

Select column A and copy then paste special>values>ok>esc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:27:01 -0800, Nancy <Nancy(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I want to make a spreadsheet that shows multiple book authors and the books
>they have written. I want to set it up so that I can sort the list by last
>name of the author, but the books they write need to go with their name as it
>is moved. I have tried using column A for the author and column B for the
>books, but when column A authors is sorted, their books don't go with their
>name. I also tried indenting their books under their name with the same
>results. The data doesn't have to be in two columns, but their books need to
>go with their name. What can I do to make this happen? Thanks for any
>advice.

Pages: 1
Prev: printing
Next: data consolidation