From: BIGEYE on
I am considering KIS 2010 to replace my KAV 2009 when the subscription
expires. My qustion is can KIS 2010 stop programs from accessing the
internet without my knowledge (calling home so to speak), if yes, does
KIS do this by default or are there settings to change to prevent
programs calling home.

TIA
From: Wilf on
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> BIGEYE<djst8(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am considering KIS 2010 to replace my KAV 2009 when the subscription
>> expires. My qustion is can KIS 2010 stop programs from accessing the
>> internet without my knowledge (calling home so to speak)
>
> Just like any other personal firewall: not reliably.
>
> cu
> 59cobalt

But probably more reliably than most. However, the standard setting is
to allow against a list of "trusted" programs, constantly updated. You
need to change the settings to achieve what you want but I'm not
qualified to say what those changes are as I always use the automatic
settings. If you ask your question at the Kaspersky forum

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4

you'll get answers from very knowledgeable users

--
Wilf
From: Wilf on
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> Wilf<wilf(a)replyto.newsgroup> wrote:
>> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>>>
>>> Just like any other personal firewall: not reliably.
>>
>> But probably more reliably than most.
>
> There is no such thing as "more reliably". Reliability is binary. Either
> you are, or you're not.
>
> cu
> 59cobalt

I'd dispute that point. It's really about probabilities. Say, a 50%
chance of something sneaking through, or a 90% chance; I know which one
I'd go for if there wasn't a 100% solution.

--
Wilf
From: Regis on
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usenet-2010(a)planetcobalt.net> writes:

> Wilf <wilf(a)replyto.newsgroup> wrote:
>> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:

>>> There is no such thing as "more reliably". Reliability is binary.
>>> Either you are, or you're not.
>>
>> I'd dispute that point. It's really about probabilities. Say, a 50%
>> chance of something sneaking through, or a 90% chance;
>
> How do you calculate those probabilities?
>
>> I know which one I'd go for if there wasn't a 100% solution.
>
> a) An attacker needs only a single successful connection to fully (100%)
> compromise your security.
> b) A 100% solution does exist: don't run software you don't trust.

Which is, unfortunately, pedantic useless bullshit.

I'd invite any advocate of this approach to name software they trust
100%.

Unless you've personally written it and every library and API it
calls, and personally designed and fabricated the hardware and written
the OS on which it runs, you're kinda fucked by this binary view
reliability, at which point one may as well go sharpen sticks to catch
dinner and eschew modern society entirely.

I dont' think it unreasonable for someone using a risk management
approach to use a personal firewall product knowing that it won't
provide absolute assurance of outbound protection, while enjoying some
value in that it will--in man cases--alert you to something being
amiss. If you're going up against a ninja spear phishing you with
0day, you're screwed anyway. But most threats we face aren't that
sophisticated.

In the age of 0day vulnerabilities in widely deployed "trusted"
software (recently, IE and anything with teh word Adobe on it leap to
mind), you should take any canaries in any coal mines that you can
get.