From: JD on
On 26/04/2010 10:36 PM, Fredd Wright wrote:
> I may have mispoken. This is not for my home, it is for my bosses home
> office. He will be purchasing it but he needs me to find out if this is
> possible. Yes, it is old software that will definitely not work on a 64 bit
> system. I have spoken with a computer guy who says he can do it however I
> want to get confirmation from a third party, Again, I am not asking if this
> is a WISE thing to do. (it's not my decision) Just if it can be done. I
> know that Windows Vista can be downgraded to XP I just want to confirm that
> a 64 bit Windows Vista can be downgraded to a 32 bit XP. I'm a novice at
> this and am not sure if it is the HARDWARE that makes a computer 64 bit or
> the SOFTWARE. If it is the hardware, that makes it 64 bit, then installing
> a 32 bit software wouldn't work, right? (or does that question even make
> sense)
>
> Thanks.

you could install an older version of window's on new hardware your
limiting factor is Software Drivers for the components in the system, I
for one have noticed it is very hard to get drivers for new laptops with
integrated chip-sets for windows XP or lower Desktops are slightly
different and may have more standard parts however its all down to what
the actual PC is that you buy.

looks like your going to have to try to install your software on the new
system or try downgrading the system, or googling for a specific answer
e.g. "install win XP on dell 12345" or "instaling xyz software on win 7"

JD

From: Jeff Strickland on
Yes, the theory is sound. The practice is another matter, but you've beaten
it to death, so I'll take it at your word.

You will need to locate a WinXP installation disc -- good luck with that, I
think this will be your biggest issue to overcome. In any case, the machine
must be set to boot from the CD drive and the XP Install Disc must be loaded
into the tray. You will have to select the option that reformats the HDD,
which will wipe out everything that's on the HDD now.

I don't understand why the issue is 32- vs. 64-bit though. That should not
be a problem. If the software is very old, it might not work under Vista or
Win7, that's a fact. But if the software works under XP, then it ought not
care that XP is the 32- or 64-bit version.

Okay, there's an example that shoots my statement down -- Adobe Flash will
not run under 64-bit versions of Vista or Win7, and I assume it won't run
under 64-bit WinXP either.

From: Baron on
Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> Yes, the theory is sound. The practice is another matter, but you've
> beaten it to death, so I'll take it at your word.
>
> You will need to locate a WinXP installation disc -- good luck with
> that, I think this will be your biggest issue to overcome. In any
> case, the machine must be set to boot from the CD drive and the XP
> Install Disc must be loaded into the tray. You will have to select the
> option that reformats the HDD, which will wipe out everything that's
> on the HDD now.
>
> I don't understand why the issue is 32- vs. 64-bit though. That should
> not be a problem. If the software is very old, it might not work under
> Vista or Win7, that's a fact. But if the software works under XP, then
> it ought not care that XP is the 32- or 64-bit version.
>
> Okay, there's an example that shoots my statement down -- Adobe Flash
> will not run under 64-bit versions of Vista or Win7, and I assume it
> won't run under 64-bit WinXP either.

16 Bit software wont run under Vista but it will with XP.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Paul on
Fredd Wright wrote:
> I work at an office which uses old software which cannot be run on a 64 bit
> system or on Vista. The boss is pretty stubborn and refuses to upgrade or
> change softwares. If we purchase a 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista machine at
> Best Buy, is it possible for a computer tech to downgrade the PC to a 32-bit
> Windows XP machine? In other words, can a 64-bit computer be downgraded to
> a 32-bit computer? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

In your hypothetical question, you seem to be trying to cover as many
combinations as possible. Do people still sell Vista machines ?
Wouldn't the computer come with Windows 7 ?

Certain versions of Windows 7, come with "WinXP mode" support.
That means you can run WinXP in a window, and that copy of WinXP
is included in the license for your Windows 7. Windows 7 comes
in a number of versions, and you need the right version for
that to be included. If the software needed direct access to hardware,
then this scheme won't work, but WinXP is kinda prefaced on preventing
direct access. I would think any ordinary software would work in there.
Trying to run DirectX games inside that WinXP window, would not
be a good idea - I would not expect that to work well. There is
no "DirectX tunnel", for a game to get accelerated performance from
inside the virtual machine. So this would work, with no additional fuss,
and be something the boss could experiment with first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

"A new version of Microsoft Virtual PC, newly renamed as Windows
Virtual PC was made available for Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise,
and Ultimate editions. It allows multiple Windows environments,
including Windows XP Mode, to run on the same machine. Windows XP Mode
runs Windows XP in a virtual machine and redirects displayed applications
running in Windows XP to the Windows 7 desktop."

If you want to install WinXP, all you have to do is verify there are
drivers for all the hardware. You can still buy an OEM copy, for
a price. I think the price means Microsoft isn't shipping this
any more, and they're running on existing stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116592

A 64 bit processor has both 64 bit and 32 bit instructions, and
can have 64 or 32 bit OSes installed. If you pick an old enough
OS (Win98), then the drivers are the issue. I managed to install
Win98 on my Asrock 4Core family motherboard with a Core2 processor in it,
and it worked. And it worked, because the chipset was VIA, and their
stuff tends to support the older OSes OK. I don't use Win98, but
did the install as an experiment. The video card was AGP in that
case. So that is an example of a "64 bit processor", running a
pretty old 32 bit OS. I've since moved the processor to a new motherboard,
and that wouldn't work nearly as well on the new one (because the
video card is a lot newer, and there is no Win98 driver for it).

When Win98 runs on a dual core processor, only one of the cores
shows up, and the other core cannot be used. But it is still blazing
fast, even if you can only have 512MB memory. You can still buy the
motherboard, and if you hurry, might even be able to buy a processor
to stuff in it.

(The Win98 motherboard...)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115&Tpk=4coredual-sata2

This would be an example of a processor to run in it. The reason for
selecting this one, is because this processor supports virtualization.
The E7500 might not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115059&Tpk=e7600

Virtualization support table... A nice to have for the future. VPC2007
can use it.

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=26547

Since the E7600 is not in the CPU list here, you'd need a hacked BIOS
to guarantee it would work. And the site offering the hacked BIOS, is
shut down. Still, all the hardware is there, to build a Win98 capable
system if you wanted to.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2%20R2.0

So many things are possible, if your boss wants to step into a time
machine.

Paul
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
>
>> Yes, the theory is sound. The practice is another matter, but you've
>> beaten it to death, so I'll take it at your word.
>>
>> You will need to locate a WinXP installation disc -- good luck with
>> that, I think this will be your biggest issue to overcome. In any
>> case, the machine must be set to boot from the CD drive and the XP
>> Install Disc must be loaded into the tray. You will have to select the
>> option that reformats the HDD, which will wipe out everything that's
>> on the HDD now.
>>
>> I don't understand why the issue is 32- vs. 64-bit though. That should
>> not be a problem. If the software is very old, it might not work under
>> Vista or Win7, that's a fact. But if the software works under XP, then
>> it ought not care that XP is the 32- or 64-bit version.
>>
>> Okay, there's an example that shoots my statement down -- Adobe Flash
>> will not run under 64-bit versions of Vista or Win7, and I assume it
>> won't run under 64-bit WinXP either.
>
> 16 Bit software wont run under Vista but it will with XP.

Okay. Then this brings us full circle, if the boss won't get good software
to run his company, one should be polishing their resume because the job
won't be there for long.