From: Fredd Wright on
I work at an office which uses old software which cannot be run on a 64 bit
system or on Vista. The boss is pretty stubborn and refuses to upgrade or
change softwares. If we purchase a 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista machine at
Best Buy, is it possible for a computer tech to downgrade the PC to a 32-bit
Windows XP machine? In other words, can a 64-bit computer be downgraded to
a 32-bit computer? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

From: Baron on
Fredd Wright Inscribed thus:

> I work at an office which uses old software which cannot be run on a
> 64 bit
> system or on Vista. The boss is pretty stubborn and refuses to
> upgrade or
> change softwares. If we purchase a 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista machine
> at Best Buy, is it possible for a computer tech to downgrade the PC to
> a 32-bit
> Windows XP machine? In other words, can a 64-bit computer be
> downgraded to
> a 32-bit computer? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Only if you have a legitimate retail copy of XP...
Which is no longer available.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Fredd Wright" <flobiwan(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>I work at an office which uses old software which cannot be run on a 64 bit
>system or on Vista. The boss is pretty stubborn and refuses to upgrade or
>change softwares. If we purchase a 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista machine at
>Best Buy, is it possible for a computer tech to downgrade the PC to a
>32-bit Windows XP machine? In other words, can a 64-bit computer be
>downgraded to a 32-bit computer? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

One
You cannot run your company software at home anyhow, so I'm not sure I
understand the problem.

Two
If you run company software at home, I shutter to think how old it must be
to not work on a new machine.

Three
You can easily reformat a HDD and install a different operating system.
Well, I can do this but I'm not so sure about you.

Four
If your boss is so tight that he can't get the latest software to work with,
you should be working on your resume because you're going to be needing it
soon.

What are you trying to run on a 64-bit environment that you think won't run
because you use it in a 32-bit environment now?

From: Fredd Wright on
I may have mispoken. This is not for my home, it is for my bosses home
office. He will be purchasing it but he needs me to find out if this is
possible. Yes, it is old software that will definitely not work on a 64 bit
system. I have spoken with a computer guy who says he can do it however I
want to get confirmation from a third party, Again, I am not asking if this
is a WISE thing to do. (it's not my decision) Just if it can be done. I
know that Windows Vista can be downgraded to XP I just want to confirm that
a 64 bit Windows Vista can be downgraded to a 32 bit XP. I'm a novice at
this and am not sure if it is the HARDWARE that makes a computer 64 bit or
the SOFTWARE. If it is the hardware, that makes it 64 bit, then installing
a 32 bit software wouldn't work, right? (or does that question even make
sense)

Thanks.

From: JD on
On 26/04/2010 7:22 PM, Fredd Wright wrote:
> I work at an office which uses old software which cannot be run on a 64 bit
> system or on Vista. The boss is pretty stubborn and refuses to upgrade or
> change softwares. If we purchase a 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista machine at
> Best Buy, is it possible for a computer tech to downgrade the PC to a 32-bit
> Windows XP machine? In other words, can a 64-bit computer be downgraded to
> a 32-bit computer? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Hi there

The new Windows is both 64 and 32 bit, you choose which to install, it
is possible that the software may work on windows by using the
Comparability Mode or running a virtual machine, with virtulisation you
can ether run it from within XP or run it from the Win 7 desktop with
the virtulisation features, Win 7 Pro/Ultimate or Enterprise come with
XP Mode included (separate free download), Win 7 Home Premium does not
come with XP mode however there is no reason you cannot install your own
legitimate versions of XP (or any other version for that matter)

Is it custom software or is it just older software and if so what
software would it be.

JD