From: MikeB on
Daniel Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 19:51, MikeB<mpbrede(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As part of the bug report I included a link to an image of my nntp config.
>
> I saw that, thanks. I'll look into creating a mirror of the news
> server, as well, for NNTP-only access. I won't lie and say that it's
> a priority, but I'll try to get to it as soon as I have time, Mike.

That is much appreciated. I can understand the situation, mostly I just
wanted to know that it wasn't something I'm doing wrong. ANything you
can do to improve it is, of course, appreciated.
From: Nathan Rixham on
Daniel Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 18:09, MikeB <mpbrede(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, getting access seems to be hit-and-miss, since I more often than
>> not get a message that the connection to news.php.net timed out.
>>
>> Is this an indication that the server is just very busy? I don't get this on
>> any other news server I'm using on the smae news reader and I have gotten
>> this on two different news readers that I have tried.
>
> I don't believe that we've been having any issues with the server,
> no. Are you using NNTP to connect? You may want to consider using
> the HTTP-based RSS and/or RDF feeds if it continues to be an issue.
> In addition, if you continue to have problems, file a bug report at
> http://bugs.php.net/ and we'll look into it further.

Dan, Mike,

I can confirm this happens "all the time" in thunderbird, and always has
for many years now, on all PHP NNTP lists.

However, the problem can be worked around simply, for some reason the
timeout generally only happens with the first call to view a mailing
list, after X minutes of inactivity. Thus, I simply subscribe to a few
different PHP lists (like .soap .test and general) then when I open
thunderbird I quickly click a list I *don't* want to see, then click on
..general, .general then loads nicely as expected letting the other one
timeout :)

It's hardly a fix, but it works - may be worth checking if this is the
case with the latest thunderbird revision and then reporting it as a
"bug" (in either thunderbird or the mailing list software that PHP is
running).

Best,

Nathan
From: Daniel Brown on
Good to know there's a workaround. I am thinking of using one (or more) of
the old VOOM boxes to mirror the news server for NNTP-only access.

Sent from my DROID. Apologies if formatting is off or I'm top-posting on a
list.

From: MikeB on
Gary wrote:
> MikeB wrote:
>> I understand that the news server is based on a mailing list, but I
>> can't handle another high-volume source dumping stuff into my email
>> (even if I filter it into a separate folder) so I am trying to subscribe
>> through the news group.
>>
>> However, getting access seems to be hit-and-miss, since I more often
>> than not get a message that the connection to news.php.net timed out.
>
> Tried nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.general ?

Bingo! Thanks!

From: MikeB on
Daniel Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 19:51, MikeB<mpbrede(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As part of the bug report I included a link to an image of my nntp config.
>
> I saw that, thanks. I'll look into creating a mirror of the news
> server, as well, for NNTP-only access. I won't lie and say that it's
> a priority, but I'll try to get to it as soon as I have time, Mike.

You must have already done something. It's working a lot better today.

Thanks.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Counting Children!