From: MikeB on
If there is a more appropriate place to ask this, I apologize. Please
point me in the right direction.

I understand that the news server is based on a mailing list, but I
can't handle another high-volume source dumping stuff into my email
(even if I filter it into a separate folder) so I am trying to subscribe
through the news group.

However, getting access seems to be hit-and-miss, since I more often
than not get a message that the connection to news.php.net timed out.

Is this an indication that the server is just very busy? I don't get
this on any other news server I'm using on the smae news reader and I
have gotten this on two different news readers that I have tried.
From: Daniel Brown on
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 18:09, MikeB <mpbrede(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> However, getting access seems to be hit-and-miss, since I more often than
> not get a message that the connection to news.php.net timed out.
>
> Is this an indication that the server is just very busy? I don't get this on
> any other news server I'm using on the smae news reader and I have gotten
> this on two different news readers that I have tried.

I don't believe that we've been having any issues with the server,
no. Are you using NNTP to connect? You may want to consider using
the HTTP-based RSS and/or RDF feeds if it continues to be an issue.
In addition, if you continue to have problems, file a bug report at
http://bugs.php.net/ and we'll look into it further.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager
From: MikeB on
Daniel Brown wrote:

> I don't believe that we've been having any issues with the server,
> no. Are you using NNTP to connect?

yes, NNTP.

> You may want to consider using
> the HTTP-based RSS and/or RDF feeds if it continues to be an issue.

If this persists, I'll look into the alternatives you suggest, but
that's another hill to climb when all I'm trying to do is learn PHP and
web and mySQL and javascrip and... :) (not complaining, just that
right now I've got a lot on my plate and the scope of new things just
seem to keep expanding faster than I can get a handle on it).

> In addition, if you continue to have problems, file a bug report at
> http://bugs.php.net/ and we'll look into it further.

Thanks, I did that. In the process I found a 2005 bug report that said
nntp was deliberately throttled to discourage its use... :)

As part of the bug report I included a link to an image of my nntp config.

From: Daniel Brown on
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 19:51, MikeB <mpbrede(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> As part of the bug report I included a link to an image of my nntp config.

I saw that, thanks. I'll look into creating a mirror of the news
server, as well, for NNTP-only access. I won't lie and say that it's
a priority, but I'll try to get to it as soon as I have time, Mike.

From: Shawn McKenzie on
On 09/13/2010 06:51 PM, MikeB wrote:
> Daniel Brown wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe that we've been having any issues with the server,
>> no. Are you using NNTP to connect?
>
> yes, NNTP.
>
>> You may want to consider using
>> the HTTP-based RSS and/or RDF feeds if it continues to be an issue.
>
> If this persists, I'll look into the alternatives you suggest, but
> that's another hill to climb when all I'm trying to do is learn PHP and
> web and mySQL and javascrip and... :) (not complaining, just that
> right now I've got a lot on my plate and the scope of new things just
> seem to keep expanding faster than I can get a handle on it).
>
>> In addition, if you continue to have problems, file a bug report at
>> http://bugs.php.net/ and we'll look into it further.
>>
> Thanks, I did that. In the process I found a 2005 bug report that said
> nntp was deliberately throttled to discourage its use... :)
>
> As part of the bug report I included a link to an image of my nntp config.

I have had this problem every day for years. I can read a message and
then click another one and it times out. It does this for hours at a
time. Also, many times when sending a reply it times out. Just learned
to live with it because I don't want mailing list mails either.

--
Thanks!
-Shawn
 |  Next  |  Last