From: David Cowie on
Capital letters with curves:
BCDGJOPQRSU
Capital letters without curves
AEFHIKLMNTVWXYZ
And without slants
EFHILT

Somewhere on this PC I have a list of the official Scrabble words. If I
wanted to search it for the longest words using only each set of letters
above, which Fine Manuals should I be reading?

--
David Cowie http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidcowie/

Containment Failure + 57963:55
From: Simon Brooke on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:33:44 +0000, David Cowie wrote:

> Capital letters with curves:
> BCDGJOPQRSU
> Capital letters without curves
> AEFHIKLMNTVWXYZ
> And without slants
> EFHILT
>
> Somewhere on this PC I have a list of the official Scrabble words. If I
> wanted to search it for the longest words using only each set of letters
> above, which Fine Manuals should I be reading?

Well two things you want to learn to play with - regular expressions (man
regexp) and grep on the one hand, and anagram generators on the other.
Debian has an anagram generator called 'an' in the repository just now -
not one I've played with.

There are various corpuses of words already on your computer for
spellcheckers - look in /usr/share/dict/words

I don't know about scrabble-specific ones, however.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Tony Houghton on
In <88ki58FbcbU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
David Cowie <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Capital letters with curves:
> BCDGJOPQRSU
> Capital letters without curves
> AEFHIKLMNTVWXYZ
> And without slants
> EFHILT
>
> Somewhere on this PC I have a list of the official Scrabble words. If I
> wanted to search it for the longest words using only each set of letters
> above, which Fine Manuals should I be reading?

Try to find some sort of port of grep. If the file has one word per line
you'd use an expression like:

^[BCDGJOPQRSU]+$

Use a * instead of + if you don't know whether the version you use
supports extended regular expressions, but a * will make it list blank
lines too.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Tony Houghton on
In <slrni2ac3n.ae6.h(a)realh.co.uk>,
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> In <88ki58FbcbU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> David Cowie <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Capital letters with curves:
>> BCDGJOPQRSU
>> Capital letters without curves
>> AEFHIKLMNTVWXYZ
>> And without slants
>> EFHILT
>>
>> Somewhere on this PC I have a list of the official Scrabble words. If I
>> wanted to search it for the longest words using only each set of letters
>> above, which Fine Manuals should I be reading?
>
> Try to find some sort of port of grep.

Oops, I forgot what group I was reading and assumed you were using
Windows. Now I'll assume you've got a command line and GNU grep instead.
So:

> If the file has one word per line

egrep -i '^[BCDGJOPQRSU]+$' your_scrabble_file

etc

I can't think of a trivial way to sort the results by word length.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-06-25, Tony Houghton wrote:
> I can't think of a trivial way to sort the results by word length.

awk '{ printf "%40s\n", $0 }' | sort

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>