From: Folderol on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:00:19 +0100
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Folderol
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
> > With nothing plugged in, lsusb returns the internal usb 1 & 2 hubs, but
> > if I plug any device in at all, and try lsusb again it hangs. looking
> > at a process monitor shows it as 'uninterruptable' and indeed, trying
> > to kill it fails. The only way to clear it is with a reboot :(
>
> lsmod | grep hcd should list modules ending in hci-hcd. Try removing those
> one at a time and see if it starts working.

It seems that it is in fact USB 1 devices that are causing the problem,
but one of these only has to have been plugged in at some time and usb2
devices are disabled as well until the next reboot :(

eg;
plug in modern memory stick - fine
plug in iRiver H320 - fine, presents as mass storage.
plug in camera oldish olypmus - no show and both the other devices stop
responding.
plug in old 128MB stick - again kills all usb.

All of these work perfectly well in another machine running a full
debian squeeze.

I had a look at lspci, lsmod and dmesg as suggested, couldn't see
anything that seemed to show a problem. What specifically should I look
for?

About 3 months ago I did a bios update when I upgraded the processor,
could this have affected anything?

--
Will J G
From: Folderol on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 00:31:01 +0100
Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <20100624224115.2c8a5cec(a)debian>,
> Folderol wrote:
>
> > It seems that it is in fact USB 1 devices that are causing the problem,
> > but one of these only has to have been plugged in at some time and usb2
> > devices are disabled as well until the next reboot :(
>
> Could you do "lspci | grep USB.Control" and "lsmod | grep hci" please?
> It might help us eliminate a few options.

I had to do 'lspci | grep USB' that returned:
00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)

'lsmod | grep hci' returned:
ohci_hcd 19832 0
ehci_hcd 29484 0

interestingly on my 'good' machine it also returned:
usbcore 125284 4 usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

so I did some more investigation.

'modprobe usbcore' returned:
FATAL: Module usbcore not found

but 'cat /var/log/syslog | grep usb' identifies it as being present ???

--
Will J G
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Folderol
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> interestingly on my 'good' machine it also returned:
> usbcore 125284 4 usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
>
> so I did some more investigation.
>
> 'modprobe usbcore' returned:
> FATAL: Module usbcore not found
>
> but 'cat /var/log/syslog | grep usb' identifies it as being present ???

Presumably on that machine it's compiled in, not a module.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
21:54:36 up 5 days, 10:55, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.09, 0.09

From: Folderol on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:55:03 +0100
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Folderol
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
> > interestingly on my 'good' machine it also returned:
> > usbcore 125284 4 usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
> >
> > so I did some more investigation.
> >
> > 'modprobe usbcore' returned:
> > FATAL: Module usbcore not found
> >
> > but 'cat /var/log/syslog | grep usb' identifies it as being present ???
>
> Presumably on that machine it's compiled in, not a module.

Hmmm. Didn't think of that!
Buggritt - thought I was on to something :(

--
Will J G