From: Jose68 on
Hello,

I'm coming from Money, and there is only one thing that is bugging me
in Quicken: how to enter split transactions. Maybe there is a way to
do this in Quicken, but I can't find it!

Let me use an example, an expense with two categories:
- Games - $25
- Software - $35
- Sales Tax - $7
- TOTAL $67

In Money, I could type $67 as total, and once in the split window, I
could type $25 and $35, and let Money assign the difference ($7)
proportionately into all categories by pressing F6. Or I could assign
that difference to one single line item, if applicable, pressing F5.

Is there something similar in Quicken? When I'm splitting a
transaction in 4 or 5 splits, it is a pain to have to calculate sales
tax one by one.

Thanks!
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Jose.

I've always done it "the hard way", I guess. :^{

In the Split transaction screen, I enter each taxable item's actual price,
then press * (for multiply), enter 1.0825 on the numeric keypad, and press
Enter. (Our combined State and local sales taxes are 8.25%.) So, for a
$39.95 item - like the Quicken 2010 Deluxe that I bought last month, my
keystrokes were: 39.95 * 1.0825 <Enter> - and Quicken calculated the $43.25
(after rounding) and entered it, then went to the next Split line.

It might be easier for someone like me, with over 50 years experience on
10-key adding machines, and it can get tedious on those few transactions
when I need to split the tax between more than 3 or 4 lines. But I rarely
find it a problem.

I think there is an automatic allocation feature, but I don't recall ever
having used it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: superjacent on
On Nov 15, 3:34 pm, Jose68 <jose.simonpl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm coming from Money, and there is only one thing that is bugging me
> in Quicken: how to enter split transactions. Maybe there is a way to
> do this in Quicken, but I can't find it!
>
> Let me use an example, an expense with two categories:
>   - Games - $25
>   - Software - $35
>   - Sales Tax - $7
>   - TOTAL $67
>
> In Money, I could type $67 as total, and once in the split window, I
> could type $25 and $35, and let Money assign the difference ($7)
> proportionately into all categories by pressing F6. Or I could assign
> that difference to one single line item, if applicable, pressing F5.
>
> Is there something similar in Quicken?  When I'm splitting a
> transaction in 4 or 5 splits, it is a pain to have to calculate sales
> tax one by one.
>
> Thanks!

You can do that in Quicken. At the register type in $67 and then
click for splits. The first line in the split will be $67. If you
then over-type the $67 with $25, the second line in the split will
show the difference, and so on.

Hope this helps.
From: Andrew on
superjacent wrote:
> On Nov 15, 3:34 pm, Jose68 <jose.simonpl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm coming from Money, and there is only one thing that is bugging me
>> in Quicken: how to enter split transactions. Maybe there is a way to
>> do this in Quicken, but I can't find it!
>>
>> Let me use an example, an expense with two categories:
>> - Games - $25
>> - Software - $35
>> - Sales Tax - $7
>> - TOTAL $67
>>
>> In Money, I could type $67 as total, and once in the split window, I
>> could type $25 and $35, and let Money assign the difference ($7)
>> proportionately into all categories by pressing F6. Or I could assign
>> that difference to one single line item, if applicable, pressing F5.
>>
>> Is there something similar in Quicken? When I'm splitting a
>> transaction in 4 or 5 splits, it is a pain to have to calculate sales
>> tax one by one.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> You can do that in Quicken. At the register type in $67 and then
> click for splits. The first line in the split will be $67. If you
> then over-type the $67 with $25, the second line in the split will
> show the difference, and so on.
>
> Hope this helps.

How is this proportional allocating the different parts of the $7.00 sales
tax to each line as the balance goes down? I trust you might not have read
the subtle question!

You're right in that as you delineate how much of the total should be on
each line, that doesn't do what the OP asked which is how to automatically
ALSO allocate the sales tax percentage to each line.

To RC who also posted - I don't remember Q ever being able to do the
allocation of sales tax proportionally across the board, but it would be
nice - sometimes I allocate different purchases to different categories and
would also like to add the appropriate sales tax to each line without
manually calculating it like you mentioned in your other post.

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Jose68 on
On Nov 15, 1:27 pm, superjacent <superjac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 15, 3:34 pm, Jose68 <jose.simonpl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I'm coming from Money, and there is only one thing that is bugging me
> > in Quicken: how to enter split transactions. Maybe there is a way to
> > do this in Quicken, but I can't find it!
>
> > Let me use an example, an expense with two categories:
> >   - Games - $25
> >   - Software - $35
> >   - Sales Tax - $7
> >   - TOTAL $67
>
> > In Money, I could type $67 as total, and once in the split window, I
> > could type $25 and $35, and let Money assign the difference ($7)
> > proportionately into all categories by pressing F6. Or I could assign
> > that difference to one single line item, if applicable, pressing F5.
>
> > Is there something similar in Quicken?  When I'm splitting a
> > transaction in 4 or 5 splits, it is a pain to have to calculate sales
> > tax one by one.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> You can do that in Quicken.   At the register type in $67 and then
> click for splits.   The first line in the split will be $67.   If you
> then over-type the $67 with $25, the second line in the split will
> show the difference, and so on.
>
> Hope this helps.

As Andrew said, that doesn't really help. In my example, it would show
$42 left after I type $25, and if in the second line I type $35 it
will show $7 left for the third line, but THEN I would like to press
F6 (as in Money), so the $7 are proportionately allocated to the two
previous line items.

I guess you can do it manually, but heck, computers are supposed to
make our lives easier!! :)