From: Victoria on
Lately I've notices my database freezing from time to time, so I tried the
following...
a) created a new data base
b) imported all tables, queries, forms, ...... ,modules
c) reset the References
d) reset the Startup options
e) compile

Everything is working great now, but I have a few questions about this
process. Did I miss any crucial steps? (don't want any surprises later) Is
there a prefered order to do these steps? Finally, the database is now about
30% smaller, even though I was regularly compiling, compacting/repairing the
former one. I'd like to know why this might be so.

many thanks
Victoria

From: Victoria on
I'm sooooo sorry I posted this 3 times. There was a posting above mine dated
2 days from now, so I just didn't see it.

duh
Victoria

From: Stefan Hoffmann on
hi Victoria,

On 29.03.2010 02:07, Victoria wrote:
> Everything is working great now, but I have a few questions about this
> process. Did I miss any crucial steps? (don't want any surprises later)
Crucial? Not necessarily, but imho an important one:

a) created a new data base

- disable Name AutoCorrect of the new database (File\Options).
- enable Compact On Close (File\Options).
- enable Option Explicit (VBA IDE\Tools\Editor).

b) imported all tables, queries, forms, ...... ,modules

- check whether all code modules have the Option Explicit directive at
the top of the module.

c) reset the References

- compile

d) reset the Startup options
e) compile

> Is there a prefered order to do these steps? Finally, the database is now about
> 30% smaller, even though I was regularly compiling, compacting/repairing the
> former one. I'd like to know why this might be so.
While development, compact and repair may not remove all unnecessary
artifacts. So this may happen. In most cases where I had issues like
this, it was due to some kind of code corruption.

So I'm doing the steps above on a regular manner during development.

mfG
--> stefan <--
From: Victoria on
Stefan Thank you for some great insights. Victoria

From: Dirk Goldgar on
"Stefan Hoffmann" <ste5an(a)ste5an.de> wrote in message
> - enable Compact On Close (File\Options).

Enable? Although I'm personally ambivalent about this option, I know
there's a certain amount of sentiment *against* using Compact On Close. Did
you really mean to suggest that Victoria should enable it, or did you mean
that she should *disable* it?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)