From: Mysterious Traveler on
First of all the network doesn't work and I can't find a way
to setup network. I put the network indicator on the task bar
and it gives my I.P. as 127.0.0.1. There doesn't seem to be
a way to setup DHCP.

The help section under network recommended looking for Unix
network, which I couldn't find.

Since this is my first encounter with Solaris I am hoping
someone can help me along a little with some information.

I was also wondering what type of file system Solaris uses?
Gparted sees it as unknown. Solaris can't see a USB drive I
plugged in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Mysterious Traveler

From: Ian Collins on
On 07/ 4/10 01:44 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
> First of all the network doesn't work and I can't find a way
> to setup network. I put the network indicator on the task bar
> and it gives my I.P. as 127.0.0.1. There doesn't seem to be
> a way to setup DHCP.

Unless this is a production server, you are probably better off with the
latest OpenSolaris developer build from http://genunix.org. Download
the live CD (http://genunix.org/distributions/indiana/osol-dev-134-x86.iso).

You can use the live CD to check your hardware.

> I was also wondering what type of file system Solaris uses?
> Gparted sees it as unknown. Solaris can't see a USB drive I
> plugged in.

ZFS or UFS. It will read/write FAT32 USB devices.

--
Ian Collins
From: Michael Laajanen on
Hi,

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
> First of all the network doesn't work and I can't find a way
> to setup network. I put the network indicator on the task bar
> and it gives my I.P. as 127.0.0.1. There doesn't seem to be
> a way to setup DHCP.
>
> The help section under network recommended looking for Unix
> network, which I couldn't find.
>
> Since this is my first encounter with Solaris I am hoping
> someone can help me along a little with some information.
>
> I was also wondering what type of file system Solaris uses?
> Gparted sees it as unknown. Solaris can't see a USB drive I
> plugged in.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
> Mysterious Traveler

Did you get any questions during install for network?
From: Paul Floyd on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 20:44:33 -0500, Mysterious Traveler
<mysterious.traveler(a)dot.net> wrote:
> First of all the network doesn't work and I can't find a way
> to setup network. I put the network indicator on the task bar
> and it gives my I.P. as 127.0.0.1. There doesn't seem to be
> a way to setup DHCP.

That's very interesting. But if you want any real help, then you will
have to provide some useful information. In particular, about your
hardware (CPU and NIC).

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
> First of all the network doesn't work and I can't find a way
> to setup network. I put the network indicator on the task bar
> and it gives my I.P. as 127.0.0.1. There doesn't seem to be
> a way to setup DHCP.
>
> The help section under network recommended looking for Unix
> network, which I couldn't find.
>
> Since this is my first encounter with Solaris I am hoping
> someone can help me along a little with some information.
>
> I was also wondering what type of file system Solaris uses?
> Gparted sees it as unknown. Solaris can't see a USB drive I
> plugged in.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
> Mysterious Traveler

When you installed Solaris, you should have been asked about networking
if it detected network hardware. If you indicated that you wanted
network support, you would have been asked to configure it; e.g. IP
address, netmask, etc. If you were *not* asked, it suggests that no
supported networking hardware is installed!

If you missed it somehow see man sysunconfig. Sysunconfig wipes your
configuration, reboots, and asks you about networking , time zone, etc,
etc. The details are in the man page! It won't help if your network
hardware is not installed or not working!

Note that Solaris documentation is available on line at docs.sun.com.
You can, if you wish, order hard copy documentation. If you don't
already know Solaris, the docs are almost mandatory!