From: adirtymindisajoyforever on
Hi,

I have a mainly CPU bound application that performs X good_things/
second on
a V490, I would like to predict the number when executed on a T5220?
Or in general, is there kinda formula to convert from one sparc type
machine
to another?
What if the number of CPU's is not the same?

Thanks in advance for all answers.
From: hume.spamfilter on
adirtymindisajoyforever <getridofthespam(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a mainly CPU bound application that performs X good_things/
> second on
> a V490, I would like to predict the number when executed on a T5220?
> Or in general, is there kinda formula to convert from one sparc type
> machine
> to another?

In general, no. You can get a VERY rough estimate by comparing clock rates.
But depending on operations, other things may matter... like floating-point
ops, memory accesses, and so on.

> What if the number of CPU's is not the same?

("CPUs", no apostrophe...) That'll only make a big difference if your app is
multithreaded, which you haven't specified, so I'm assuming not. If not, it
may make some small difference by virtue of the fact of how much contention
there is for the CPUs relative to the other machine.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
From: Bill Waddington on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:20:41 +0000 (UTC), hume.spamfilter(a)bofh.ca
wrote:

>("CPUs", no apostrophe...)

My friend, that ship has sailed.

On the interweb, all words ending in "s" require an apostrophe.

I confess, though, that I haven't seen "hi's" or "her's" yet. Soon,
I suspect.

Bill
--
William D Waddington
william.waddington(a)beezmo.com
From: Thommy M. on
adirtymindisajoyforever <getridofthespam(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a mainly CPU bound application that performs X good_things/
> second on
> a V490, I would like to predict the number when executed on a T5220?
> Or in general, is there kinda formula to convert from one sparc type
> machine
> to another?
> What if the number of CPU's is not the same?

The best of the two are these:

V490 UltraSPARC IV+ 2.1GHz 32MB L2 Cache & 4 CPU/8 Cores

T5220 UltraSPARC T2 1.6GHz 4MB L2 Cache & 1 CPU/8 Cores

I would say that the V490 is doing better on pure CPU bound tasks and I
would replace it with a

M4000 SPARC64 VII 2.53GHz 5.5MB L2 Cache & 2 CPU/8 Cores with the
possibility to expand.

But if tha app is threading, then the T5220 might be enough. There's a
tool, cooltst, here http://cooltools.sunsource.net/cooltst/index.html
that might help you.
From: Thommy M. on
Bill Waddington <william.waddington(a)beezmo.com> writes:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:20:41 +0000 (UTC), hume.spamfilter(a)bofh.ca
> wrote:
>

>>("CPUs", no apostrophe...)
>
> My friend, that ship has sailed.
>
> On the interweb, all words ending in "s" require an apostrophe.
>
> I confess, though, that I haven't seen "hi's" or "her's" yet. Soon,
> I suspect.

We've seen a couple of "it's" for "its" though... ;)
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Questions after install Solaris 10
Next: c0t2d0s3?