From: Bob on
This is a real mess. Have new Toshiba laptop with Vista pre-installed.
First installed my Quicken 2004 version and it worked just fine. But today
decided to upgrade to 2007. Bought a copy, installed in successfully on my
XP desktop, but then ran into a disaster on my Vista laptop. The install
wizard seemed to quit, and said not responding. So, not surprisingly, I
told the program to quit. Then I could not do anything. Could not
uninstall or continue the stopped install. I then went to Quicken support
and was told that this could be a problem (now they tell me!). They gave a
couple of suggestions (qcleanui) and Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
Neither of these works. When I try to reinstall, I am given the options of
either modify, repair, or removing Quicken, but none of these options works
("The wizard was interrupted before Quicken 2007 could be completely
installed"). So the help file does not help. Since there is no kind of
warning that this problem can arise, I don't think I can be blamed from
seeming thinking that the install program was not responding and acting
accordingly. Intuit should have included detailed Vista installation
instructions with a warning not to pay any attention to the not responding
message. All I seemingly can do now is re-install my trusty 2004 version,
unless someone has a better idea! I don't know whether I'm madder at Intuit
or at Microsoft for this debacle of an operating system.

From: Steven on
I just bought a toshiba with vista premium and have had no problem to
date. Installed quicken 2007 and everything went fine. I did however
check on the web site and it does mention a problem with the help
feature of quicken and vista.

I would suggest that maybe a glitch occured when reading the installed
cd. You might want to try either system restore or reloading vista from
the recovery dvd and than try your quicken again. good luck

From: David A. Lessnau on
This is from Intuit's site
(https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5727&p_created=1171313790&p_sid=r6F2bCwi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=3810&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dmlzdGE*&p_li=&p_topview=1).
Is it what you tried? And, after the two cleanups (one with qcleanui.zip
and the other with the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility), the Quicken
install routine still thinks Quicken is installed?

"1. Download qcleanui.zip to your desktop.
2. Extract the files to your Windows Desktop.
3. Right-click QcleanUI.EXE, and select Run as administrator. If you
receive a warning about unauthorized access, click Allow.
4. If you are prompted for your Administrator password, enter the password.
If you did not establish an Administrator password when you installed
Windows Vista, click Continue.
5. Select the Clean all Versions option and click Clean. When the process
is complete, click Quit.

Note: The process is complete when the Quit button is no longer deactivated.

6. If QcleanUI does not remove Quicken, try the Windows Installer CleanUp
Utility available on the Microsoft support site
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301).
7. Restart your computer.
8. Insert your Quicken CD-ROM. If you are prompted to install Quicken,
click No or Cancel.
9. Click the Start button and select Computer.
10. Right-click the CD-ROM drive that contains the Quicken program CD and
select Explore.
11. Right-click the install.exe file and select Run as Administrator. If
you receive a warning about unauthorized access, click Allow.

Note: If you are using a downloaded version of Quicken, locate the Quicken
download file and right-click this file, and select Run as Administrator.

12. If you are prompted for your Administrator password, enter the
password. If you did not establish an Administrator password when you
installed Windows Vista, click Continue.
13. Follow the on-screen prompts to install Quicken.

Note: If the installation appears to stall, do not cancel the installation
or End Task using the Windows Task Manager. Installation may take up to 2
hours to complete depending on the amount of RAM installed and other system
configuration settings."

From: Bob on
Yes, I had found that list of instructions. Qcleanui did not work at all.
I then downloaded Windows Installer Clean Up, but missed one crucial step.
I simply unzipped and installed the software, but did not subsequently
actually run it! My mistake (it didn't put an icon on the desktop and I had
to search for it). But my point remains that since Intuit knows about this
potential rather serious problem, they should include more detailed
instructions with the software on how to install it). As with most software
installs, I simply inserted the CD and followed the instructions on the
wizard--until it seemed to stop and I made the serious error of trying to
start it again. Thanks for the help.

Bob

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:L6cKh.16508$_R.12950(a)newsfe23.lga...

From: David A. Lessnau on
I'm not arguing with you. I agree entirely. As far as I can see, Intuit's
just trying to hide the problems Quicken is having with Vista. They posted
a document
(https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4370&p_created=1151348167&p_sid=H1Or4Dwi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=3810&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dmlzdGE*&p_li=&p_topview=1)that
basically says that once 2007 is updated to the most current release (R4?),
it has no problems under Vista. Their own "Quicken Community" web site has
plenty of posts indicating that's not correct. The biggest problems seem to
be the actual installation of Quicken 2007 (as you found out) and, assuming
a person gets past that, the installation of the latest patches. I think
there's a problem with downloaded transactions not showing up, too. There
are problems with 2005 and 2006, too, that Intuit doesn't acknowledge
(though they just acknowledged the scrolling problem with Microsoft's
Intellipoint software).

Normally, I upgrade my version of Quicken every other year. I was due to
change over to 2007 this year. But, I didn't like what I was reading about
what they did to the UI. So, I put it off. Then, when I upgraded to Vista,
I again thought about moving to 2007 under the assumption that because it
was newer, it would be less problematic under Vista. Since 2005 is working
adequately for me in Vista, I again put it off. Since then, I've been
monitoring Intuit's board to see what the problems are. They actually seem
worse for 2007 than they do for 2005. So, I guess I'll hold off until
Quicken 2008 rolls around sometime in August and see if they've bothered to
fix anything.