From: PRNole on
For the past several years I have been backing up my data files to my
DVD drive without any problems using previous versions of Quicken.
Since I upgraded to 2007, however, I find it impossible to do so. I
now get a pop-up message that says: "CD backup error! The CD drive is
empty. Please insert a valid disc into Drive X," even though the 4.7G
backup DVD disc is in the drive, properly seated, and with plenty of
room to spare.

Other applications I use that have their own native backup routines
work fine. Drag&drop to the DVD also works fine. Only Q2007 doesn't.
The only solution I have found thus far is to first backup Quicken to
a folder in my desktop and then run a simple batch file I created that
copies the backup data files from desktop to the DVD. This works just
fine. I don't mind doing it this way, that is, backup Quicken to the
desktop, close Quicken, and then run the batch file each time I want
to back up my files, and will continue to do so. I just wonder if
Q2007 has nipped the option to back up to a DVD/CD combo writer drive.

FWIW, I use Sonic's DLA to allow drag & drop as well as backup to my
DVD/CD burner. Never had a problem backing up to the same DVD burner
with previous Quicken versions.

Am I alone in this?

From: Andrew Rossmann on
In article <1174775560.286222.80770(a)e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
prosete(a)yahoo.com says...
> For the past several years I have been backing up my data files to my
> DVD drive without any problems using previous versions of Quicken.
> Since I upgraded to 2007, however, I find it impossible to do so. I
> now get a pop-up message that says: "CD backup error! The CD drive is
> empty. Please insert a valid disc into Drive X," even though the 4.7G
> backup DVD disc is in the drive, properly seated, and with plenty of
> room to spare.
>
> Other applications I use that have their own native backup routines
> work fine. Drag&drop to the DVD also works fine. Only Q2007 doesn't.
> The only solution I have found thus far is to first backup Quicken to
> a folder in my desktop and then run a simple batch file I created that
> copies the backup data files from desktop to the DVD. This works just
> fine. I don't mind doing it this way, that is, backup Quicken to the
> desktop, close Quicken, and then run the batch file each time I want
> to back up my files, and will continue to do so. I just wonder if
> Q2007 has nipped the option to back up to a DVD/CD combo writer drive.
>
> FWIW, I use Sonic's DLA to allow drag & drop as well as backup to my
> DVD/CD burner. Never had a problem backing up to the same DVD burner
> with previous Quicken versions.

I have run into a similar issue with Q07 and Roxio Drag-and-Drop. In the
past, I have simply backed up to a CD-RW (R:) with no problems (I also
back up to the hard drive which in turn is backed up to DVD at times.)
Now it tells me it cannot write to it. I had no problem simply copying,
using plain old Windows Explorer, from the backup copy on the hard drive
to the CD-RW.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
From: Han on
Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply(a)no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in

> I have run into a similar issue with Q07 and Roxio Drag-and-Drop. In the
> past, I have simply backed up to a CD-RW (R:) with no problems (I also
> back up to the hard drive which in turn is backed up to DVD at times.)
> Now it tells me it cannot write to it. I had no problem simply copying,
> using plain old Windows Explorer, from the backup copy on the hard drive
> to the CD-RW.

Just make sure that when you use Windows Explorer that you back up /ALL/
the files in the file set. That means not only MyData.QDF, but all files
MyData.*

--
Best regards
Han
From: PRNole on
On Mar 25, 11:33 am, Han <nob...(a)nospam.not> wrote:

> Just make sure that when you use Windows Explorer that you back up /ALL/
> the files in the file set. That means not only MyData.QDF, but all files
> MyData.*
>
> --
> Best regards
> Han

That's why I backup to a dedicated folder on my desktop and then copy
all backed up files to the DVD.

From: Andrew Rossmann on
In article <Xns98FE80268F5Aikkezelf(a)199.45.49.11>, nobody(a)nospam.not
says...
> Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply(a)no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > I have run into a similar issue with Q07 and Roxio Drag-and-Drop. In the
> > past, I have simply backed up to a CD-RW (R:) with no problems (I also
> > back up to the hard drive which in turn is backed up to DVD at times.)
> > Now it tells me it cannot write to it. I had no problem simply copying,
> > using plain old Windows Explorer, from the backup copy on the hard drive
> > to the CD-RW.
> >

> Just make sure that when you use Windows Explorer that you back up /ALL/
> the files in the file set. That means not only MyData.QDF, but all files
> MyData.*

I use Quicken's File/Backup function to create the backup set. With the
Q07 bug, I now have to manually copy the set to the CD-RW.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Pages: 1
Prev: Quicken 2007 and Vista