From: Larry Waibel on
I don't understand how to do a restore in Q2007. Let's say I have my normal
file(s) as 'mymoney' and have the backup set so that it creates backups with
dated file names. In older versions I would do a restore and select the file
to restore from and it would restore over the one I have open (mymoney) and
then reopen it. With Q2007 when I got to restore I'm given a list of the
files with the date names. If I select the latest one, it says it did the
restore and then tells me to open the file. But when I open 'mymoney' it's
the same as before the restore. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks!

From: John Pollard on
Larry Waibel wrote:
> I don't understand how to do a restore in Q2007. Let's
> say I have my normal file(s) as 'mymoney' and have the
> backup set so that it creates backups with dated file
> names. In older versions I would do a restore and select
> the file to restore from and it would restore over the
> one I have open (mymoney) and then reopen it. With Q2007
> when I got to restore I'm given a list of the files with
> the date names. If I select the latest one, it says it
> did the restore and then tells me to open the file. But
> when I open 'mymoney' it's the same as before the
> restore. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks!

A "restore" always restores the backup file name. When you
suffix your backup file names with dates, a simple restore is no
longer enough.

You'll need to delete (or rename) your current file, then rename
the restored backup file. You can do both steps in Quicken
using File Operations.

--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com

From: Larry Waibel on
In article <j%QTh.53201$oV.13994(a)attbi_s21>, John Pollard wrote:
> From: "John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
> Subject: Re: Q2007 restore
> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:38:55 GMT
>
> Larry Waibel wrote:
> > I don't understand how to do a restore in Q2007. Let's
> > say I have my normal file(s) as 'mymoney' and have the
> > backup set so that it creates backups with dated file
> > names. In older versions I would do a restore and select
> > the file to restore from and it would restore over the
> > one I have open (mymoney) and then reopen it. With Q2007
> > when I got to restore I'm given a list of the files with
> > the date names. If I select the latest one, it says it
> > did the restore and then tells me to open the file. But
> > when I open 'mymoney' it's the same as before the
> > restore. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks!
>
> A "restore" always restores the backup file name. When you
> suffix your backup file names with dates, a simple restore is no
> longer enough.
>
> You'll need to delete (or rename) your current file, then rename
> the restored backup file. You can do both steps in Quicken
> using File Operations.
>
> --
> John Pollard
> First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
> Please reply to newsgroup

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure I understand. So I have my regular
file open and do a restore of the latest date-named file (which is in the
backup directory). Then what do I do? I need to have some file open in
order to get to the menu items to do the rename/copy and I assume I can't
rename the regular file if it's the one I have open? So I have to have some
third file just to open to be able to rename my regular to something else and
then rename the restored backup to my regular name? Seems pretty convoluted
to me :-)

From: John Pollard on
Larry Waibel wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure I understand.
> So I have my regular file open and do a restore of the
> latest date-named file (which is in the backup
> directory). Then what do I do? I need to have some file
> open in order to get to the menu items to do the
> rename/copy and I assume I can't rename the regular file
> if it's the one I have open? So I have to have some
> third file just to open to be able to rename my regular
> to something else and then rename the restored backup to
> my regular name? Seems pretty convoluted to me :-)

While you have significantly overstated the problem, there is no
doubt that affixing the date to the name of your backup will
create extra work to restore to restore it. (I think some folks
have ignored this.)

The process of restoring is as simple as I first described.

Quicken can rename any Quicken file on your system, the file
does not have to be open, but it can be open.

You can do your restore just as you have always done. When the
restore is finished, (yes) you can rename the file you have
open, then rename the restored file. Then open the renamed
file. The two renames are the extra steps you must take.

From: Larry Waibel on
In article <P_eUh.54743$_c5.24422(a)attbi_s22>, John Pollard wrote:
> From: "John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
> Subject: Re: Q2007 restore
> Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 01:13:19 GMT
>
> Larry Waibel wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure I understand.
> > So I have my regular file open and do a restore of the
> > latest date-named file (which is in the backup
> > directory). Then what do I do? I need to have some file
> > open in order to get to the menu items to do the
> > rename/copy and I assume I can't rename the regular file
> > if it's the one I have open? So I have to have some
> > third file just to open to be able to rename my regular
> > to something else and then rename the restored backup to
> > my regular name? Seems pretty convoluted to me :-)
>
> While you have significantly overstated the problem, there is no
> doubt that affixing the date to the name of your backup will
> create extra work to restore to restore it. (I think some folks
> have ignored this.)
>
> The process of restoring is as simple as I first described.
>
> Quicken can rename any Quicken file on your system, the file
> does not have to be open, but it can be open.
>
> You can do your restore just as you have always done. When the
> restore is finished, (yes) you can rename the file you have
> open, then rename the restored file. Then open the renamed
> file. The two renames are the extra steps you must take.
>
> --
> John Pollard
> First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
> Please reply to newsgroup

I think I'll just turn off the date-named files :-)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Can Q2007 Premier backup to DVD?
Next: splash screen