From: Andrew on
Larry Waibel wrote:
> In article <P_eUh.54743$_c5.24422(a)attbi_s22>, John Pollard wrote:
>> From: "John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com>
>> Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
>> Subject: Re: Q2007 restore
>> Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 01:13:19 GMT
>>
>> Larry Waibel wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure I understand.
>>> So I have my regular file open and do a restore of the
>>> latest date-named file (which is in the backup
>>> directory). Then what do I do? I need to have some file
>>> open in order to get to the menu items to do the
>>> rename/copy and I assume I can't rename the regular file
>>> if it's the one I have open? So I have to have some
>>> third file just to open to be able to rename my regular
>>> to something else and then rename the restored backup to
>>> my regular name? Seems pretty convoluted to me :-)
>>
>> While you have significantly overstated the problem, there is no
>> doubt that affixing the date to the name of your backup will
>> create extra work to restore to restore it. (I think some folks
>> have ignored this.)
>>
>> The process of restoring is as simple as I first described.
>>
>> Quicken can rename any Quicken file on your system, the file
>> does not have to be open, but it can be open.
>>
>> You can do your restore just as you have always done. When the
>> restore is finished, (yes) you can rename the file you have
>> open, then rename the restored file. Then open the renamed
>> file. The two renames are the extra steps you must take.
>>
>> --
>> John Pollard
>> First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
>> Please reply to newsgroup
>>
> I think I'll just turn off the date-named files :-)

If you do that, you miss out on having multiple backups, each with a
generated identification number (the date!) indicating when it was created.
This will defeat the purpose of having those available in case you need to
simply overlay the previous ones. Read John's reply on dealing with the
names in case you do need to do the restore. Don't throw out the baby with
the bath!
Regards -

- Andrew

From: MikeG on
Maybe I am confused, but if the file I am working on gets "goobered", I
simply point to 'Open' and use the last file that was saved. Have never
done a restore, not quite sure what the difference is. (I use the dated
amended type file and after everything seems normal, I do a file copy and
rename @ that time, and use the renamed file.)

From: John Pollard on
MikeG wrote:
> Maybe I am confused, but if the file I am working on gets
> "goobered", I simply point to 'Open' and use the last
> file that was saved. Have never done a restore, not
> quite sure what the difference is. (I use the dated
> amended type file and after everything seems normal, I do
> a file copy and rename @ that time, and use the renamed
> file.)

"Opening" a backup file is a fundamental mistake. Once you do
so, that file is no longer a backup file ... that backup is
gone. If you are opening your backups for some mistaken sense
of convenience, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

From: MikeG on
John. Not to give you a hard time, but why? The file that I open is 99% of
the time from my Cd backup. (I copy all the associated files as well to
my desk top). The original backup file is still on the hard drive,
untouched. Maybe I have been lucky, but have had no problems.

From: John Pollard on
MikeG wrote:
> John. Not to give you a hard time, but why? The file
> that I open is 99% of the time from my Cd backup.

> (I copy all the associated files as well to my desk top).

> The original backup file is still on the hard drive,
> untouched.

Then the file you are opening is NOT your "backup file".

> Maybe I have been lucky, but have had no problems.

My comment was specifically aimed at opening a "backup" file ...
not a "copy" of a backup file.

The purpose of a backup file is to preserve your data *exactly*
as it was when you created the backup. While it is always wrong
to "open" such a file, it is particularly wrong for a Qucken
backup file.

First: understand that *every* change you make intentionally, or
you allow Quicken to make, is "saved" to the currently open file
.... *immediately*.

Secont: when Quicken "opens" a file, one of the first things it
does is to enter automatic Scheduled Transactions into your
account registers. The result of those additions to your
Quicken registers are immediately "saved" to the file you opened
.... in the case of this discussion ... your "backup" file.

[There may be oher such "alterations" that come into play that I
have not thought of.]

Any other "change" you make to *anything* in Quicken while that
"backup" file is open, will be immediately *saved* to the backup
file.

The bottom line is: once you "open" that backup file, you can
never again treat it as a "backup" file.

Since there is never any reason to "open" a backup, I suggest
never doing so.

--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
Please reply to newsgroup

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Can Q2007 Premier backup to DVD?