From: Edward on
Robert Neville wrote:
> Robert Neville <dont(a)bother.com> wrote:
>
> Now, I've managed to confuse everyone by mixing QDF and QEL. Text below edited
> for correctness.
>
>> When Intuit went to a single QDF file, they most likely did not change any of
>> the internal file structures. All they did was combine all the separate files
>> inside a single wrapper file. The wrapper file used the same QDF extention as
>> previous versions, but now contains all the individual files.
>>
>> By doing this, Intuit doesn't need to change any of the internal code that uses
>> the individual files. They just add a bit of code that opens the single QDF file
>> and sets up pointers to all the internal files inside.
>>
>> The sloppy part of the coding is that the error messages still refer to the
>> internal file names (like QEL), not the QDF wrapper file.
>>
>> The easiest way to visualize this is to look at how ZIP files work. There's a
>> single ZIP file, but inside there can be as many individual files as you like.
>> Many programs can access the files inside a ZIP file with you having to unzip
>> beforehand.
>>
>> An example of this are Firefox xpi addin files. If you rename the xpi extention
>> to zip and open it, you'll see all the individual files.

Thanks for the explanation. I just ran Validate again, and it still
said my qel file was corrupt. Then, I found that all of my passwords in
the password vault were gone. I restored an older file and everything
is fine. I imagine if I ran Validate again, I would have the same
errors, and my passwords would disappear again. So I guess I'll hide my
head in the sand and leave it alone.