From: John Robertson on
This error message implies that there is a hobble attached to the
programme to prevent it working with banks that have not paid Intuit
money. It only happens if I try to download Open Financial Exchange
(.OFX) files which, their name implies, are an open way of exchanging
financial information.

I paid money to Intuit as well, and English law takes this seriously.
Intuit have to provide software of "merchantable quality" "fit for the
purpose for which it was sold", and, hardest of all for them, meet
"reasonable expectations".

Intuit's view, expressed in their help file, is this
Q: "what if I don't see my financial institution on this list?"
A: "consider applying for an account with one of these financial
institutions".

Is their case that an obsolete, duplicate-prone, QIF service is what
they sold me and that this is in line with customer's reasonable
expectations? Even though free software now provides this? And even
though their own software could read .ofx files at no extra cost to them
or me if they withdrew the hobble? And even though their support page
now admits that they can't deal with the UK market and will be
withdrawing?

Do other users think we have enough of a case to scare them into issuing
a fix?
--
John
Quicken XG 2004 UK edition, release R2
From: Notan on
John Robertson wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Do other users think we have enough of a case to scare them into issuing
> a fix?

Scare them?

Notan
From: Andy Briggs on
Another internet shop keeper doing the books on Boxing Day?
Intuit legal department should have a look at this - I sell software in
the UK and I'd never get away with selling crippleware at full price,
without a fair trades description. Sooner or later somebody would take
me to trading standards or sue in the county court.
What do other people think?
--
Andy Briggs
From: Mike on

John Robertson wrote:
> This error message implies that there is a hobble attached to the
> programme to prevent it working with banks that have not paid Intuit
> money. It only happens if I try to download Open Financial Exchange
> (.OFX) files which, their name implies, are an open way of exchanging
> financial information.

Intuit never claimed that Quicken can process OFX files. Intuit has a
value-added implementation using defined interfaces to create QFX files
that Quicken can process. Part of the process requires that financial
institutions have to sign up to the service. With Quicken withdrawing
from the UK market I don't see any financial institution rushing to
license the format.

> I paid money to Intuit as well, and English law takes this seriously.
> Intuit have to provide software of "merchantable quality" "fit for the
> purpose for which it was sold", and, hardest of all for them, meet
> "reasonable expectations".

"Reasonable" is reasonable from others engaged in the same trade or
industry, not from some walkabout on the street that has no knowledge
of the issues involved.

> Intuit's view, expressed in their help file, is this
> Q: "what if I don't see my financial institution on this list?"
> A: "consider applying for an account with one of these financial
> institutions".

Perfectly acceptable.

> Is their case that an obsolete, duplicate-prone, QIF service is what
> they sold me and that this is in line with customer's reasonable
> expectations? Even though free software now provides this? And even
> though their own software could read .ofx files at no extra cost to them
> or me if they withdrew the hobble? And even though their support page
> now admits that they can't deal with the UK market and will be
> withdrawing?

They sold you some financial management software in 2003/2004, that has
a reasonable expectation of 1-2 years' support. Intuit has not sold any
newer versions of their software and has provided support for a
reasonable period after announcing their withdrawal. If you can find a
better product, you are more than welcome to switch to that product.

> Do other users think we have enough of a case to scare them into issuing
> a fix?

I think you are deluded and doesn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell
of succeeding.

From: HASM on
"Mike" <MPBrede(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Intuit has a value-added implementation using defined interfaces to
> create QFX files that Quicken can process.

Where the added value is all on Intuit's side, off course ...

-- HASM