From: John Pollard on
Harley wrote:
> Why did Quicken download and reconcile one of the two transactions,
> when they were done at an ATM only about 2 hours apart? One of them
> it accepted and the other it pretends isn't even there. I just tried
> it again this morning and found the same result - it placed an "R" on
> the one $200 ATM withdrawal, but ignored the second $200 ATM
> transaction from the same day. And it downloaded a supermarket debit
> card transaction from later the same day. All three transactions show
> up on the bank's website. After completing the downloads Quicken
> complains that my balance is off by $200, and would I like to adjust
> my balance. I don't believe any of them are "pended," as the amounts
> have been deducted from the bank's online balance. One registers in
> Quicken and the other not.

I think it's important to distinguish between what gets downloaded and
what gets presented to the user.

Quicken has no control over what gets downloaded; your financial
institution controls that.

Quicken does have control over which downloaded transactions the user gets
to see, and act on.

If you're trying to detemine why you did not see a particular transaction,
you'd first have to determine whether the transaction was downloaded by
your financial institution. For Direct Connect downloads; see Quicken
Help > Product and Customer Support > OFXLog. [You can "Save" the OFXlog
to a .txt file for easier viewing in an editor or word processor.] For
Web Connect downloads, save the QFX file to disk; it's format is
essentially the same as the OFXlog.

If the transaction in question is not in the OFXlog/QFX file, your
financial institution didn't supply it.

If the transaction in question was downloaded, you need to determine
whether Quicken has a good reason to believe the transaction was
downloaded before. The OFX specs require that every unique transaction be
given a unique Financial Institution Transaction ID ("FITID"). If the
financial institution accidentally assigns the same FITID to two different
transactions, Quicken will not process the second one (you will not see
it).

You can see the FITID in the downloaded data. It's important to note that
when Quicken sees a downloaded transaction, it "remembers" its FITID, even
if you do not Accept the downloaded transaction. Quicken saves that FITID
in your Quicken data file(set). Once an FITID has been seen by Quicken,
it will not (should not) present to you, any transaction with that same
FITID.

So in addition to looking for duplicate FITID's in a specific download,
you need to know what FITID's Quicken has stored in your data. To do that
see:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/getting-started/setting-up-quicken/2738.html

[If you're a Q2010 user, ignore the text regarding a ".QEL" file. The
data that used to be stored in the QEL file, is stored in the QDF file in
Q2010. But the rest of the article is still valid.]

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help