From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Andrew Poulos wrote:

> David Mark wrote:
>> Andrew Poulos wrote:
>>> AC_QuickTime.js 1.2 uses browser sniffing. Isn't that "bad"?
>>
>> Yes. Very. But if it actually "works" in IE, you can look at what it
>> does to accomplish this feat. Just ignore the sniffing as it is almost
>> certainly unrelated to the problem.
>
> AC_QuickTime.js does seem to work in IE.

Perhaps you want to process the rest of that sentence (and trim your quotes
to the relevant minimum, thereby not following David's bad example).

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: Andrew Poulos on
On 25/04/2010 4:58 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Andrew Poulos wrote:
>
>> David Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. Very. But if it actually "works" in IE, you can look at what it
>>> does to accomplish this feat. Just ignore the sniffing as it is almost
>>> certainly unrelated to the problem.
>>
>> AC_QuickTime.js does seem to work in IE.
>
> Perhaps you want to process the rest of that sentence (and trim your quotes
> to the relevant minimum, thereby not following David's bad example).

Using Apples AC_QuickTime.js to dynamically add a QT movie to the page
does result in the controller appearing (if you set the attribute
appropriately). When I try using AC_QuickTime.js's
QT_ReplaceElementContents function to add the movie to a DIV the
controller doesn't appear.

The former uses document.writeln while the latter innerHTML. I can only
conclude that the controller won't display in IE if you use innerHTML to
add the movie to the page.

Andrew Poulos
From: VK on
On Apr 25, 4:35 am, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> The former uses document.writeln while the latter innerHTML. I can only
> conclude that the controller won't display in IE if you use innerHTML to
> add the movie to the page.

Right. It is not a bug, it is an intentional functionality break out
because of very "special" relations of Apple and Microsoft. Yes, on
the big screen they are friends now, but inside it is pretty much the
same as it was. After playing a bit more you'll discover another "go
to hell" gift: in IE scripting interface of QT is silently locked,
either with enablejavascript=yes or not. This is why the world so
happily and quickly migrated on Flash players, and now will do the
same for HTML5 media extensions. Over years everyone got sick tired of
those "cats-and-dogs" games between RealPlayer, QuickTime and WMP.
From: VK on
On Apr 25, 8:37 pm, VK <schools_r...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> After playing a bit more you'll discover another "go
> to hell" gift: in IE scripting interface of QT is silently locked,
> either with enablejavascript=yes or not.

I forgot to mention that if you insert WMP plugin into IE then of
course the scripting will be happily open for you but .mov movies will
not play. So either of two options:
1) do what they wanted you to do: use QT for all, use WMP for IE, have
media in both formats, serve either one to conditionally inserted
plugin.
2) show your finger to all of them and use a Flash player
3) really 'd like to know another option myself - HTML5 extensions
just not enough here yet.
From: Stefan Weiss on
On 25/04/10 18:37, VK wrote:
> On Apr 25, 4:35 am, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> The former uses document.writeln while the latter innerHTML. I can only
>> conclude that the controller won't display in IE if you use innerHTML to
>> add the movie to the page.
>
> Right. It is not a bug, it is an intentional functionality break out
> because of very "special" relations of Apple and Microsoft.

Conspiracy theories aside, you have a very unusual definition of the
word "bug". As long as Microsoft is the responsible party, you prefer to
use euphemisms like "differences" or "intentional functionality
break[s]". I see a great career in politics or marketing :)

George Carlin would have a field day with this, if he was a developer
(and still alive).

--
stefan