From: VK on
On Apr 26, 3:01 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Conspiracy theories aside, you have a very unusual definition of the
> word "bug". As long as Microsoft is the responsible party, you prefer to
> use euphemisms like "differences" or "intentional functionality
> break[s]". I see a great career in politics or marketing :)

Do you consider "intentional functionality break" to be softer form of
"bug"? Uhmm... :-)

If I wanted it to do A and it appeared to do B - it is a bug. If I
thought it should do A and so programmed it but by proper specs
reading it supposed to do B - it is a bug as well. If I knew that it
must do B but by my own considerations programmed it to do A instead -
it is not a bug, it is an "intentional functionality break". Feel the
difference.

Say Mozilla Bugzilla has many confirmed bugs. At the same time Flash
plugin will have scriptable interface blocked if you use the automatic
installation on prompt. In order to have the scriptable interface
enabled, you have to download plugin installation file first and then
run it manually (<1% of average users). It is not a bug, it is an
"intentional functionality break" because ActionScript security model
differs from Gecko JavaScript security model and they don't like it.

From: VK on
> On Apr 26, 3:01 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Conspiracy theories aside,

the trick is in not using <object>, use <embed> instead for IE as well
and it works (though the .src change is still blocked on IE). The
working demo is at
http://javascript.myplus.org/qt/qt.html
All files listed for download at
http://javascript.myplus.org/qt/

From: Andrew Poulos on
On 26/04/2010 11:12 AM, VK wrote:
>> On Apr 26, 3:01 am, Stefan Weiss<krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Conspiracy theories aside,
>
> the trick is in not using<object>, use<embed> instead for IE as well
> and it works (though the .src change is still blocked on IE). The
> working demo is at
> http://javascript.myplus.org/qt/qt.html
> All files listed for download at
> http://javascript.myplus.org/qt/

Hmm, I'm surprised it works.

Does it work for all flavours of IE?
Is there a browser that only plays QT with an OBJECT element?

Andrew Poulos

From: VK on
On Apr 26, 10:47 am, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/04/2010 11:12 AM, VK wrote:
>
> >> On Apr 26, 3:01 am, Stefan Weiss<krewech...(a)gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> >> Conspiracy theories aside,
>
> > the trick is in not using<object>, use<embed>  instead for IE as well
> > and it works (though the .src change is still blocked on IE). The
> > working demo is at
> >  http://javascript.myplus.org/qt/qt.html
> > All files listed for download at
> >  http://javascript.myplus.org/qt/
>
> Hmm, I'm surprised it works.
>
> Does it work for all flavours of IE?
> Is there a browser that only plays QT with an OBJECT element?

IE 4.x-5.x are not in the test list for a long time so cannot speak
for them. The rock bottom MS fallback testing now is IE6 / Win XP SP2.
In this environment it runs just fine with the same results as IE8/
Vista SP2

Taking into account the history of standardization of NPAPI (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI ) I would speculate that
<object><embed> combo was ever needed for IE 3.x - IE 4.x versions
only. Since IE 5.x so since 1999 this combo usage is a useless and
mostly harmful cargo cult ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming
)

Please note that while NPAPI is standardized, older IE DOM access to
it is not with documents.embeds being missing or broken. So <embed> is
used for either IE or al. but both ID and NAME has to be set to the
same value and then the access goes either
al.: document.embeds['PluginName']
or
IE: document.getElementById('PluginName')
From: VK on

Updated and extended test suit is at http://javascript.myplus.org/qt/qt2.zip

Just for fun I checked Apple's claim that QuickTime supports all
current and legacy interfaces, including LiveConnect, so I adapted the
test case for NN4 as well and tried it on
Netscape Navigator 4.79 (a.k.a. "Netscape Communicator") / Win XP SP2
Indeed it blinked "Java loading..." in status bar and then played
everything nicely and smoothly, two or three movies at once on the
same page.
[ NN4 has its own small foot-print optimized JVM included into
installation, so to repeat the test one doesn't need to install Java.
Just get the NN 4.79 itself at http://browser.netscape.com/releases ]

Firefox 3.6.3 / Win Vista SP2
Cannot play more than one movie at once, others are on hold. Also acts
weird with two movies both inserted over document.write:
The last written is the first played, the first written doesn't
autoplay. One needs to mouse hover it or even keep mouse pressed to
make it play - the working variant seems random.
That shows that Mozilla products' media capabilities have been
noticeable deteriorated over the past 10 years - which is not an
anyhow huge secret though.

Internet Explorer 6 / Win XP SP2
No complains, nicely and smoothly - one, two or three movies at once,
either over document.write or innerHTML

Internet Explorer 8 / Win Vista SP2
ditto

Safari 4.0.5 / Win Vista SP2
ditto

Chrome 4.1.249 / Win Vista SP2
ditto

Opera 10.51 / Win Vista SP2
ditto

Conclusions:
1) not so great for Gecko. It is realized by the team as well, so it
is announced to make a new high productivity engine by the end of this
year with 2D graphics handling using hardware resources directly (some
German name for the engine, has a mental block right now) - that
caused a panic in QA for such short terms but in fact the time limits
are very narrow and this year is exactly all what Mozilla has to
steady stay on the mass market.
2) yes, object-embed combo is a useless and often harmful cargo cult
left from the Browser Wars times. Use <embed> only with id/name.