From: Arno on
Does anybody know whether it is possible to configure an
md RAID1 to read with preferrence from one particular
RAID disk? The reasom I ask is that I have an application
that does very ver writes but a lot of small file reads.
I would like to put that on a RADI1 consiting of an SSD
and a conventional partition, but that makes only sense
if I can tell the kernel to read with a high level of
preferrence from the SSD. (Regular RAID consistency
checks and SMART checks for the HDD are in place.)

Thanks for any insight.

If nobody knows, I will probably go for hourly manual
mirroring via rsync/rdiff-backup or the like to HDD,
but that is sort of kludgy...

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: David Brown on
Arno wrote:
> Does anybody know whether it is possible to configure an
> md RAID1 to read with preferrence from one particular
> RAID disk? The reasom I ask is that I have an application
> that does very ver writes but a lot of small file reads.
> I would like to put that on a RADI1 consiting of an SSD
> and a conventional partition, but that makes only sense
> if I can tell the kernel to read with a high level of
> preferrence from the SSD. (Regular RAID consistency
> checks and SMART checks for the HDD are in place.)
>
> Thanks for any insight.
>
> If nobody knows, I will probably go for hourly manual
> mirroring via rsync/rdiff-backup or the like to HDD,
> but that is sort of kludgy...

If you are using mdadmin for your raid, you can specify one or more
devices as "--write-mostly" which means they will not be read unless
it's necessary. If you include a write-intent bitmap, then you can also
build up a queue of writes to the write-mostly disk(s) without hindering
performance of the array.

It's really aimed at mirroring over slower links (such as for an
external iSCSI drive over a longer distance link), but I'd imagine it
would work fine for your purposes.

If you try out that idea, let us know your results - I'm curious as to
how well it works.

<http://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm>
From: Arno on
David Brown <david.brown(a)hesbynett.removethisbit.no> wrote:
> Arno wrote:
>> Does anybody know whether it is possible to configure an
>> md RAID1 to read with preferrence from one particular
>> RAID disk? The reasom I ask is that I have an application
>> that does very ver writes but a lot of small file reads.
>> I would like to put that on a RADI1 consiting of an SSD
>> and a conventional partition, but that makes only sense
>> if I can tell the kernel to read with a high level of
>> preferrence from the SSD.
[...]
> If you are using mdadmin for your raid, you can specify one or more
> devices as "--write-mostly" which means they will not be read unless
> it's necessary. If you include a write-intent bitmap, then you can also
> build up a queue of writes to the write-mostly disk(s) without hindering
> performance of the array.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

> It's really aimed at mirroring over slower links (such as for an
> external iSCSI drive over a longer distance link), but I'd imagine it
> would work fine for your purposes.

> If you try out that idea, let us know your results - I'm curious as to
> how well it works.

Will do. I need to move my SSD for that, could take a few days.

Arno
From: Arno on
Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> David Brown <david.brown(a)hesbynett.removethisbit.no> wrote:
>> Arno wrote:
>>> Does anybody know whether it is possible to configure an
>>> md RAID1 to read with preferrence from one particular
>>> RAID disk? The reasom I ask is that I have an application
>>> that does very ver writes but a lot of small file reads.
>>> I would like to put that on a RADI1 consiting of an SSD
>>> and a conventional partition, but that makes only sense
>>> if I can tell the kernel to read with a high level of
>>> preferrence from the SSD.
> [...]
>> If you are using mdadmin for your raid, you can specify one or more
>> devices as "--write-mostly" which means they will not be read unless
>> it's necessary. If you include a write-intent bitmap, then you can also
>> build up a queue of writes to the write-mostly disk(s) without hindering
>> performance of the array.

> Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

>> It's really aimed at mirroring over slower links (such as for an
>> external iSCSI drive over a longer distance link), but I'd imagine it
>> would work fine for your purposes.

>> If you try out that idea, let us know your results - I'm curious as to
>> how well it works.

> Will do. I need to move my SSD for that, could take a few days.

Just posted as "RAID1: HDD+SDD -- some benchmarks" in this newsgroup.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----

Pages: 1
Prev: Lew Pitcher
Next: root password