From: jny0 on
I'm installing fedora12. I run the CD, which gives me the option to
log-in as liver system user. I then lick on the Install to Hard Drive
icon, which begins the installation procedure. After setting up a
couple of settings (location, etc) I'm asked to enter a root
password. I enter it, and continue the installation. Oncompletion, I
restart the computer, and am prompted to set up a user account. I
then log in with the user account, as this is the only option
available. When I then try to login as root (through a terminal), I
keep being told that there's authentication failure. I know the
password is correct, and have gone though this process many time now.
Any ideas?
From: Denis McMahon on
On 05/07/10 15:55, jny0 wrote:

> When I then try to login as root (through a terminal), I
> keep being told that there's authentication failure. I know the
> password is correct, and have gone though this process many time now.
> Any ideas?

Could be that the root account is disabled for logins.

Try using "su" from a normal user terminal instead.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: jny0 on
On Jul 5, 4:18 pm, Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcma...(a)googlemail.co.uk>
wrote:
> On 05/07/10 15:55, jny0 wrote:
>
> > When I then try to login as root (through a terminal), I
> > keep being told that there's authentication failure.  I know the
> > password is correct, and have gone though this process many time now.
> > Any ideas?
>
> Could be that the root account is disabled for logins.
>
> Try using "su" from a normal user terminal instead.
>
> Rgds
>
> Denis McMahon

That got it. You're a star.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
jny0 wrote:
> I'm installing fedora12. I run the CD, which gives me the option to
> log-in as liver system user. I then lick on the Install to Hard Drive
> icon,

That's a novel approach! What does it taste of?

From: Stefan Patric on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 07:55:56 -0700, jny0 wrote:

> I'm installing fedora12. I run the CD, which gives me the option to
> log-in as liver system user. I then lick on the Install to Hard Drive
> icon, which begins the installation procedure. After setting up a
> couple of settings (location, etc) I'm asked to enter a root password.
> I enter it, and continue the installation. Oncompletion, I restart the
> computer, and am prompted to set up a user account. I then log in with
> the user account, as this is the only option available. When I then try
> to login as root (through a terminal), I keep being told that there's
> authentication failure. I know the password is correct, and have gone
> though this process many time now. Any ideas?

Are you logging in as root by typing "su root" or "su -" (without quotes)
in a terminal (in a desktop terminal window, I'm assuming)? Try pressing
Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a virtual terminal. Type "root" and when asked,
the root password. Does that work?

Ctrl-Alt-F1 will get you back to your desktop.

Stef