From: propman on
On 10-07-05 10:28 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> jny0 wrote:
>> I'm installing fedora12. I run the CD, which gives me the option to
>> log-in as liver system user. I then lick on the Install to Hard Drive
>> icon,
>
> That's a novel approach! What does it taste of?

LOL!!

From: Larry Blanchard on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:35:55 +0000, Stefan Patric wrote:

> Try pressing
> Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a virtual terminal. Type "root" and when asked,
> the root password. Does that work?
>
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 will get you back to your desktop.

Huh??? On every Linux I've used, including Ubuntu 8.04, Crtl-Alt-F1 thru
Ctrl-Alt-F6 gets me to a terminal screen from the desktop. Alt-F7 gets
me from any one of those termina screens back to the desktop.

Is Fedora different?

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-06, Larry Blanchard <lblanch(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:35:55 +0000, Stefan Patric wrote:
>
>> Try pressing
>> Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a virtual terminal. Type "root" and when asked,
>> the root password. Does that work?
>>
>> Ctrl-Alt-F1 will get you back to your desktop.
>
> Huh??? On every Linux I've used, including Ubuntu 8.04, Crtl-Alt-F1 thru
> Ctrl-Alt-F6 gets me to a terminal screen from the desktop. Alt-F7 gets
> me from any one of those termina screens back to the desktop.
>
> Is Fedora different?

*Anything* could be different, depending on what the admin has done. :)

Every non-minimalist distro I've used has run some sort of X11 on tty7,
not tty1, by default. Fedora may be different, of course.

It is not a hard-and-fast absolute that an X11 session will end up on
tty7. I have seen instances where my X session on tty7 has gotten badly
enough hosed that, when I finally get a new session going, it ends up on
tty8, because tty7 is still busy. It's unlikely to make any difference,
but if alt-F7 doesn't bring you back to the expected X11 session, it's
worth trying alt-F8 or ctrl-alt-F8 or other F*'s to try to find it.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Stefan Patric on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 03:07:27 +0000, Larry Blanchard wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:35:55 +0000, Stefan Patric wrote:
>
>> Try pressing
>> Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a virtual terminal. Type "root" and when asked,
>> the root password. Does that work?
>>
>> Ctrl-Alt-F1 will get you back to your desktop.
>
> Huh??? On every Linux I've used, including Ubuntu 8.04, Crtl-Alt-F1
> thru Ctrl-Alt-F6 gets me to a terminal screen from the desktop. Alt-F7
> gets me from any one of those termina screens back to the desktop.
>
> Is Fedora different?

Yes. Most other distros are as you've indicated. Why Fedora is set up
that way, I have no idea. It just is. Since the OP was using Fedora 12,
I made my reply Fedora specific.

Stef
From: jny0 on
The liver tastes good!

I'm not sure what su does, but it works. I type su, and I am prompted
for a password. I enter the root password, and I'm taken to the root,
with all root privilliges.

It might be nice to negate this process if it can be done, but thansk
for everyone's input anyway.