From: Aragorn on
On Tuesday 06 July 2010 09:20 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as jny0 wrote...

> The liver tastes good!

Yuk! :p

> I'm not sure what su does, but it works. I type su, and I am prompted
> for a password. I enter the root password, and I'm taken to the root,
> with all root privilliges.

That's what "su" does, although you can also use it to "log in" as
another user.

See...

man su

.... for details. ;-)

> It might be nice to negate this process if it can be done, but thansk
> for everyone's input anyway.

Not sure what you mean by that... And by the way, there's also "sudo",
which works in a similar way but asks you for the password of your own
account by default, and it normally also allows you to run one command
at the time, instead of giving you a root (or other user's) shell.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: jny0 on
....and I'm a vege...

What I meant by "It might be nice to negate this process if it can be
done..." is that it would be nice if I could just login as root,
rather than login in as a user, and su to root.
From: Bob Martin on
in 49096 20100706 102603 jny0 <jny0(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>....and I'm a vege...
>
>What I meant by "It might be nice to negate this process if it can be
>done..." is that it would be nice if I could just login as root,
>rather than login in as a user, and su to root.

Go to System / Administration / Users and Groups
then edit the properties for the user "root".
From: Moe Trin on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
<gsmag7xss4.ln2(a)goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>, Keith Keller wrote:

>Larry Blanchard <lblanch(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> Stefan Patric wrote:

>>> Try pressing
>>> Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a virtual terminal. Type "root" and when
>>> asked, the root password. Does that work?

It is using a PAM configuration to deny the root login. They're doing
this for the same reason that Ubuntu defaults to not allowing a root
login - they are trying to prevent the windoze behavior of logging
in/running as the privileged (root = administrator in windoze-speak)
user. There really is a good reason for this prohibition.

>>> Ctrl-Alt-F1 will get you back to your desktop.

>> Huh??? On every Linux I've used, including Ubuntu 8.04, Crtl-Alt-F1
>> thru Ctrl-Alt-F6 gets me to a terminal screen from the desktop.
>> Alt-F7 gets me from any one of those termina screens back to the
>> desktop.
>>
>> Is Fedora different?

Depends - on a Fedora system I have physical access to, Ctrl-Alt-F1 is
the stderr output of X, rather than a login screen. Ctrl-Alt-F7 (but
see below) gets you back to the desktop.

>Every non-minimalist distro I've used has run some sort of X11 on tty7,
>not tty1, by default. Fedora may be different, of course.

and if you looked at /etc/inittab, you'd find you were running six
gettys:

---------
# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
---------

unless you are running that wonderful ``improved'' thing called
"upstart" which will instead have /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] or similar.

>I have seen instances where my X session on tty7 has gotten badly
>enough hosed that, when I finally get a new session going, it ends up
>on tty8, because tty7 is still busy.

Obviously it helps to know your system, but the X session should be
on the "next higher" unused virtual terminal.

Old guy
From: Denis McMahon on
On 05/07/10 18:05, jny0 wrote:
> On Jul 5, 4:18 pm, Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcma...(a)googlemail.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> On 05/07/10 15:55, jny0 wrote:
>>
>>> When I then try to login as root (through a terminal), I
>>> keep being told that there's authentication failure. I know the
>>> password is correct, and have gone though this process many time now.
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Could be that the root account is disabled for logins.
>>
>> Try using "su" from a normal user terminal instead.

> That got it. You're a star.

I think you can enable the root account for logins, but it seems most
linuxes are by default set up so that you have to use the superuser (or
switch user) command (su) to log in as root.

Google should point you in the right direction.

Rgds

Denis McMahon