From: Ramon F Herrera on

I just installed Fedora. Have always used Red Hat Enterprise Edition
and had the same problem in the past.

I am trying to set up the networking parameters. When I click on the
Ethernet dialog, it is so large that I cannot see the bottom part
(boy, talk about crappy coding!).

My monitor has high resolution, but the "identify monitor" feature in
Fedora does not seem to work. The drop down menu has 800x600 as it
highest resolution.

How can I increase the choices of resolution seen in that drop down
menu, or through any other means?

TIA,

-Ramon

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jul 5, 11:18 am, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
> I just installed Fedora. Have always used Red Hat Enterprise Edition
> and had the same problem in the past.
>
> I am trying to set up the networking parameters. When I click on the
> Ethernet dialog, it is so large that I cannot see the bottom part
> (boy, talk about crappy coding!).

You should be able to switch to runlevel 3 by becoming root or using
sudo and typing "telinit 3".

Then you can backup your /etc/X11 directory (just in case), and run
the command "system-config-display" That should present plenty of
options to select graphics card and monitor characteristics to improve
your options.

From: Robert Heller on
At Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:18:46 -0700 (PDT) Ramon F Herrera <ramon(a)conexus.net> wrote:

> I just installed Fedora. Have always used Red Hat Enterprise Edition
> and had the same problem in the past.
>
> I am trying to set up the networking parameters. When I click on the
> Ethernet dialog, it is so large that I cannot see the bottom part
> (boy, talk about crappy coding!).
>
> My monitor has high resolution, but the "identify monitor" feature in
> Fedora does not seem to work. The drop down menu has 800x600 as it
> highest resolution.
>
> How can I increase the choices of resolution seen in that drop down
> menu, or through any other means?

You need to hand edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Add a line like:

Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

in the "Screen" section, in the "Display" subsection.

You might need to diddle with the HorizSync/HorizSync settings in the
"Monitor" section. Be sure to have your monitor's specs at hand to make
sure you put the proper numbers there!

It is possible to set a larger *virtual* resolution and then 'scroll'
through this in the case that your monitor just can't deal with more
physical screen pixels. You should be aware that it is possible to
damage *older* CRT screens when driving them are vertical or horizontal
rates they are not designed to handle. Modern LCD screens probably
can't be damaged -- they will just display a message like 'unsupported
video rate'.

It is *strongly* recomended to change your runlevel to 3 (edit
/etc/inittab) while you are fiddling with xorg.conf -- you can always
back out of bad xorg.conf settings with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and edit
xorg.conf from the console screen.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

From: Ramon F Herrera on
On Jul 5, 10:52 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 11:18 am, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
>
> > I just installed Fedora. Have always used Red Hat Enterprise Edition
> > and had the same problem in the past.
>
> > I am trying to set up the networking parameters. When I click on the
> > Ethernet dialog, it is so large that I cannot see the bottom part
> > (boy, talk about crappy coding!).
>
> You should be able to switch to runlevel 3 by becoming root or using
> sudo and typing "telinit 3".
>
> Then you can backup your /etc/X11 directory (just in case), and run
> the command "system-config-display" That should present plenty of
> options to select graphics card and monitor characteristics to improve
> your options.

Thanks for another life-saver tip, Nico!!

Just for the record, I also found an apropos command:

http://www.perpetualpc.net/srtd_resolution.html

Gracias!

-Ramon