From: mjt on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 21:17:27 +0000 (UTC)
doctor(a)doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:

> I am trying to install Fedora 13 on a Preliant that has no CD/DVD,
> just USB.
>
> I have tried USD and USB based CD/DVD and it still cannot pick
> up the media with the installation.
>
> Any suggestions?

How about a network install?

--
Garter, n.:
An elastic band intended to keep a woman from coming

From: Denis McMahon on
On 05/07/10 22:17, The Doctor wrote:
> I am trying to install Fedora 13 on a Preliant that has no CD/DVD, just USB.
>
> I have tried USD and USB based CD/DVD and it still cannot pick
> up the media with the installation.
>
> Any suggestions?

Go into the bios and see what the boot options are?

A quick google suggests f9 during post to enter Rom Based Setup Utility
- does that then give you the option look for bootable USB media and /
or move USB media devices the boot sequence?

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: The Natural Philosopher on
mjt wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 21:17:27 +0000 (UTC)
> doctor(a)doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install Fedora 13 on a Preliant that has no CD/DVD,
>> just USB.
>>
>> I have tried USD and USB based CD/DVD and it still cannot pick
>> up the media with the installation.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> How about a network install?

if the bios supports it, thats a good way to go.

Fiddly, but it works.
From: Niels Dettenbach on
The Doctor wrote:
> Any suggestions?
i did any 64bit linux install on different HP proliants (DLx/MLx) with a USB
stick (Gentoo amd64 minimal install / install disc).

To get a typical "CD/DVD live filesystem" booted by USB properly you
typically have to use another bootloader / configuration.

See i.e. "howto boot xyz linux install iso from USB" or something like that
within search engines.

HP proliants usually provides PXE boot too and there are several good howtos
out within the net.

If you provide more details (distribution) i may give possible more detailed
help.

good luck,

Niels.